Mountain lion kills one man seriously injured another east of Seattle

I'm afraid that is bound to happen when the predator population isn't kept under control. We used to bounty hunt cats many years ago while growing up. However that was stopped and as you would think after a few years there were to many cats and the same thing happened there.

I wish the best for those two men's family's.

“He jumped the first victim and attacked him,” said Abbott. “The second victim turned and started to run away. The cougar saw that and went after the second victim. The first victim saw his friend being pulled by the cougar. He got on his bike and started to bike away. Abbott said the man rode for about 2 miles before being able to get cellphone coverage and call 911."

What a mess. Running away and leaving your partner is never an option. If they had stuck together and aggressively fought back they both would have survived this. Small young lion like that would not be a match for two 30 year old men in good condition that could use their bikes as weapons or shield.

P.S. I am on my bike in the woods at least 300 days a year. I have a can of bear spray in the water bottle holder on the frame and a Glock 10 mm on my hip. Not enough weight to be an issue or cause any discomfort but well situated to deal with any problem that arises!

P.S.S. living in a small town nothing that happens here ever makes the national news but as an FYI this past Friday we had a young lady that works for US fish and wildlife get hammered by a grizzly bear just south of town. she survived but was seriously mauled and life-flighted to Kalispell for treatment. Bumped him on the trail wrong place wrong time.

That is just wrong.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bluealteredI'm afraid that is bound to happen when the predator population isn't kept under control. We used to bounty hunt cats many years ago while growing up. However that was stopped and as you would think after a few years there were to many cats and the same thing happened there.

That argument is as silly as there are too many guns and we need to remove and restrict them to keep the situation under control. Stuff like this happens as we get deeper and deeper into their areas. It is unfortunate but regulating them is not going to make a cougar not think you are lunch. Be smart when your in the woods. Go in groups and stay together especially if your not armed.

If the State were to put up a big Yellow sign that said, "Cougar Crossing", then the libs would scream," why don't they get the cougars to cross somewhere else".

I was dirt biking last fall and spooked up a Mountain Lion that ran across the trail not 20 feet in front of me. It was so big that at first I thought it was a deer and then saw the massive tail and realized what it was. It loped on it's way up a hill and was out of sight quick. Was pretty freaky but really cool. Told my wife later and she said that I had to be careful I didn't get eaten (she's always scared being in the woods that a bear or something will get her.) I didn't think anything of it and figured they are so skittish that they'd never attack, but guess that news story shows that they just might!

From finding fresh cougar tracks right behind me after a set or on my tracks in fresh snow I have become more leery.
On another note it seems appropriate this happened near Seattle.

Dumb bikers!!! Never have liked them very much!

If it were me? I would have used my bike as a shield! Not rode the other way when my buddy was in need.

I can see it now, ban all Cougars, Puma’s and Mountain Lions!!

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIf the State were to put up a big Yellow sign that said, "Cougar Crossing", then the libs would scream," why don't they get the cougars to cross somewhere else".

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Yeah everyone running away is a joke. Fight like he!!.

Reminds me of the story a few years ago when four collage guys were out for a hike in the woods and they started taking pictures of a black bear, when the black bear got too close the four of them scattered in all directions, the first one to lose his flip flop got killed.

Half of Seattle would ridicule anyone who stood up and voiced support for self protection and responsibility, "that's the government's job". I guess you know who your friends are when--- they leave.

From what I've read the lion bait in this story were both two of those confused boy/girl types. In light of that, their response isn't surprising. Those types think the world is a Disney movie set. Should've stayed in the city.

3Dhusker that's interesting, i simply stated what always happens when hunting predators is stopped or restricted. I'm 70 years old and have been hunting cats and other predators since i was 12.

I don't need to go out in a group or with someone else to be safe while hunting, if the hunter doesn't know what is going on around him/her then they aren't paying attention to what their doing. Cats key on movement and the fact that, that cat was starving among other things was one of the causes of that happening.

If a person needs to be with others to feel safe in the woods they need to be doing something else.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGProof that you don't have to out run a charging predator, you just have to out run the guy next to you.

Spit my coffee out on that one.

I can't believe anyone on this site would have run away !!!!!! The guy gave up his friend, if he would have stayed and fought like HIS live depended on his friend would be alive today. I've got a select few I hunt with and I can promise they would not have run away if a cougar was dragging me off into the woods.

Too bad one of them or better both of them would have had a pistol on their hip.

There was this young fella in Oklahoma got attacked by a cougar, pulled his concealed carry pistol on her... she wound up wrestling the gun away from him and took his wallet and car keys.. ohhh wait... that was a different kind of cougar.. sorry...

Back