CZ 223

Headed to the range today. My first two groups weren't stellar by any means using 60 grain V-Max and CFE223. I did notice my barrel and action were not centered in my stock so I loosened the screws and centered everything back up. Groups 3 and 4 were considerably better than the first two. Then switched to 50 grain V-Max and Varget. I only had a 26 grain load and a 26.5 load. The 26 grain load shot pretty good but 26.5 opened up pretty big. I did buy a Wheeler Fat Wrench this afternoon so I can torque the screws now but think the CZ may need a bedding job to tighten things up.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
The 26 grain load shot pretty good but 26.5 opened up pretty big.

Funny thing Bill, but both my 1/9" twist Savage and my 1/12" 527 American really shoot super groups with 26 grains of Varget and the 50 grain Vmax. My 1/14" AR-15 varminter has one holed with it too. I know that I used the CCI BR4 primer for best results too but at one time that was the only cap that I used in my .223 loads. But long gone are the days when they were $5 more per brick then regular primers.

Originally Posted By: RePete52 SMK + Benchmark.

You're welcome.

I don't recall a 223 that I have played with that didn't seem to love Benchmark. And I have never had it not meter beautifully. I love the stuff!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: RePete52 SMK + Benchmark.

You're welcome.

I don't recall a 223 that I have played with that didn't seem to love Benchmark. And I have never had it not meter beautifully. I love the stuff!

I'll give it a shot!
thumbup1.gif

Considering CZ chambers these things with a lot of freebore, just about everyone does now though, it probably wouldn't hurt to select a bullet that is freebore friendly.

As has been mentioned above, the 52 and 53 grain SMK's seem to always shoot well in just about everything and the SMK's have always been pretty jump friendly.

I have a cz527 Varmint Laminate thumbhole and that thing is exact opposite of yours. It shootsrverything. I’ve shot 1/2” - 3/4” with everything from 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades to Hornady 68gr Match. I had a bunch of older 3031 and 400 50gr Vmaxs and I just picked a random amount of powder charge and checked seating depth and loaded 100 for prairie dogs. It shot a one hole group. Lucky? Maybe, but 40gr Vmaxs and 50gr SBKs and 52gr SMKs and 53gr Vmaxs and 45gr Sierra SP Varminters all shoot under or at 3/4”. I’m wondering if you don’t have a spur in your barrel or crown.

I have 3 527 varmints (.17 Rem, .222, and .223) and a 550 Varmint Kevlar in .22-250. The .22/250 is the only one that is slightly picky. But even it will shoot 1” with just about anything I stuff down it.

I know this isn’t really helping but what I’m trying to point out is that CZs are not known for being choosey rifles. Perhaps really clean it good getting all the copper and fouling out of the barrel and start over with the load that worked best.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogActually my CZ seems to have a very short throat. A 55 grain V-Max bottoms out a little over 2.260.

Thats good, IIRC the max magazine length is about 2.300” OAL.
I made my 527 like and shoot the 53 Vmax, it has a bout a .060” jump. The OAL with a 53 Vmax is about 2.275” OAL across the tip.

Back