Info on case trim for BHW 20 prac.

dan158

Has anyone used the Sinclair Chamber Length Gauge to check the trim length of their brass.. Should I trim when brass gets to 1.760 and return back to 1.750? Factory barrels I read can get away from trimming but not sure on wildcat barrels.. Thank You.. Dan

I trim to 1.750. Trust me even wildcats need trimming. I've got over a dozen and they all grow. Even the much vaunted Ackley chwmberings need trimming at times. I've never seen a factory barrel that didn't need trimming at some point. Usually more sooner than later.

Greg

It depends on loading practices, chamber fit, etc. I have not trimmed a case in a very long time, except in situations of case shortening for wildcat forming. As far as working brass though, none of my current working bolt guns have ever had any of the brass trimmed after initial forming, ever. I suspect that for my rifles and loading practices that it is only really even possible that trimming might ever be needed for the ones that have extremely long brass life. For the majority, primer pockets give up the ghost by about a dozen loadings or so, none of those have ever or will ever need to be trimmed.

None of those are factory chambers, but back when I had some factory chambers, they were so long, in order to reach the point of needing to be trimmed, would require some pretty aggressive over sizing over a number of loadings, to the point I would almost expect to have case head separations before getting long enough to actually "need" trimmed? Dunno... Never used those kind of sizing practices. But for the last couple factory .22-250 barrels I had, I wore them out, starting with 200 pieces of new brass for each, without ever needing to trim cases.

But the OP needs to measure and know. It's his chamber, his brass, his loading practices. His eyes and fingers etc. You can't take anyones word on something like this. You HAVE to measure and KNOW. Period.

YMMV.

- DAA

DAA I think you pointed out the huge advantages of the tight custom chambers in bolt guns.

Unfortunately in the world of AR's that doesn't happen. The chambers are so big in one that functions you could wrap a cat around the case and still get it to feed. Shoulder bumps are mandatory and anyone that tries to just neck size one is quite likely to pay a big price at some time in their future.

If anything in a standard factory rifle I want the bras sto be the same length when I'm working with it and as brass rarely grows at the same rate in my guns it is a necessary evil. Also what one guy gets away with in a SAAMI chamber, alleged, will vary from the next. While SAAMI does show throat specs as to where that max case length hits those can go out the window faster than an ice cream cone melting on a Phoenix sidewalk in July when the reamers get used too much or when the OEM mentality takes over.

Greg

I use the 2 step process to form 20T and it needs to be trimmed after the second sizing step. I trim to 1.75 as well. Just today I was checking some of my fire formed brass and about 1 in 10 needs trimming.

When i make it I trim to about 1.745 then start the forming. It comes out just right. I use the Dillon trimmer and it goes quite quickly that way.

Greg

Back