Coyote rifle suggestions for my wife

Originally Posted By: McGraw If you have shops with good used rifles, try to find a .222 Rem. They don’t come any more friendlier to shoot. An old Rem 600 Mohawk has something like a 16 barrel and I think their lop was only 12 1/2 inches. If you want her to love you forever, buy her a SAKO L-461 vixen and have the stock cut and recoil padded to fit.

I think its against the law in most states to modify a Sako rifle stock. But it is sacrilege. If you can find a 600 Mohawk in 222 you better buy it then cause it probably won't be there tomorrow.
thumbup1.gif

6.5 Grendel. Lots of knock down, low recoil and it can be used for several different types of animals that you may want to hunt like hogs or deer.

I cannot throw stones at the .223 for ammunition availability and recoil, but your shot placement is going to be more critical and when coyote fever strikes, shot placement can suffer.

I have never had a coyote take a Grendel and complain about it.

[/quote]The Tikka in 223 would be my choice. [/quote]

Ditto. Lightweight, accurate and very nice adjustable trigger ! Stick to a big game bullet with the .223 for best results ............ Good luck
thumbup1.gif

Tikka in .223 or .243 would be my choice. I have a T3 Forest in .243 and it's a dream to carry all day. As much as I love CZ, I'd steer clear of any of their wood stock rifles. They're beautiful, and nice rifles, but they're heavy.

It sounds like anyone of the youth/ladies rifles should fit her fairly well with just some fine tuning. Rem. Mod 7 Youth is a nice rifle(my BinL uses one, he's short like me). Savage Youth rifles are fairly inexpensive and shoot well. Unless you get one marked Youth/Ladies the LOP will be standard length even the Howa Mini has a full length stock(mine has a short Boyde stock on it).

Caliber, 204, 222, 223 make great coyote guns for under 250 yards, 22-250, 243, 6.5 Grendel a little louder and kick a little more.

Best thing is to get her to a big gun store where she can try a few different rifles, even if they aren't in the correct caliber, the stock sizing will be the same and you can order one in the right caliber.

If your lucky you can find something like a used Sako with a short stock, I recently found a Full Stocked Vixen in 222 with a short stock for a very deep discount, some days are a diamond.

Savage lady hunter or weatherby camilla. A gun that fits will be easier to shoot accurately and recoil less. Just hacking an inch or two off the stock or barrel does not make it a ladies gun...Anything .243 or less.

Originally Posted By: CalgaryBowhunt, what advantages does a 22-250 have over a 223 at 100 to 250 yards?

Without going into great detail and offending the die hard 223 guys...........more reliable stopping power and a higher percentage of bang-flops. I have killed coyotes with a 22 cal air rifle, a 270 Win, and many many cartridges in between. The 223 guys will argue that a 223 is all you need. I am not here to argue that point......they will do the job. I'm just saying that the 22-250 will do it more reliably.

With a Tikka, your getting (almost) a Sako without the extra expense. Smooth action, same barrel and go with the Hunter version and you get a nice stock too. Just doesn't say Sako on the action......but it does on the box.

Originally Posted By: CalgaryBowhunt, what advantages does a 22-250 have over a 223 at 100 to 250 yards?

Get a 223 and if you dont think its enough power. Get some hornady 223 superformance rounds. There is your 22-250 speed without the recoil.

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_Hunter
Get a 223 and if you dont think its enough power. Get some hornady 223 superformance rounds. There is your 22-250 speed without the recoil.

scratching my head on this one.
lol.gif
lol.gif

My favorite cartridge is the 204 Ruger, second choice a 223. Hard to beat a cartridge that just about grows on “trees”.

The rifle I like is the CZ 527 American .... get her used to the set trigger and she may well shoot rings around you! Lol!

Best regards

Three44s

Sako's a good choice as is a CZ....especially since CZ is chambering their 527 American in 6.5 Grendel.
CZ Carbine's another one to look at for a lite weight easy handling 223.

I own a TC venture in 204 and it is a very underrated rifle good handling super accurate and Cycles great so that would be a good option but the Howa mini actions would be my first pick for a small built woman. With the 20" lightweight model your looking at 5.7lbs and under 40" long. They come in both 223 & 204, either one will do the trick. These can be had for $400+425 if you look around and are much nicer than the price would make you think

Back