Lyman Bore Scope

The 11 shots were great ! If it will keep it up for a few hundred I'll be happy . guess I shouldn't expect too much from a factory barrel -

PD, Get some JB Bore paste and work the barrel real good"till your arms want to fall off" and it will make the barrel clean a lot easier,with less fouling.

I ordered one to check up on my cleaning methods. Mine came in today! I spent 2 hours playing with it this evening. Seems as if I was doing ok cleaning. I agree with all the hype that Remington barrels are terrible! I looked at 2 ruger predator barrels (1 in .243 and 1 in .308) and they looked pretty good for factory, especially compared to remmy! I told my buddy that its kind of like welding... sometimes ugly shoots, sometimes pretty doesn't! haha. My opinion is it was money well spent.

One thing to be aware of, if you use any of the strong copper removers such as CR10, Butch's, Sweets, etc. Make sure you get every drop out of the bore and action, before you insert the borescope. That little lense is plastic and those ammonia based cleaners are bad juju for it.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8One thing to be aware of, if you use any of the strong copper removers such as CR10, Butch's, Sweets, etc. Make sure you get every drop out of the bore and action, before you insert the borescope. That little lense is plastic and those ammonia based cleaners are bad juju for it.

A poster on one of the boards had that very problem. He blamed the
bore scope...duh!

I probably have 30 Remington barrels at least, none of them look very bad at all. I do have a Hawkeye bore scope and a Lyman.

The best Remington barrels ever made are being made right now in Alabama.

Last edited:
My Steyr Hunter barrel is stamped made In Alabama...... wonder if it’s same facility?
It’s a 280 Rem shoots fairly well for hunting rifle

I don't know about the Steyr, sorry. Is your barrel screws in or did they use liquid nitrogen to shrink the barrel and slide it into the action? If you don't know, open the action, look in with a flash light and see if you can see threads near the back of the barrel.

I should really stay off this site! It is expensive. I have been on the fence about this whole cheap bore scope idea, but knew I should really have something. I didn't want to spend the money for a Hawkeye, but at the Lyman price point, I was tempted. Tomorrow a package is coming from Brownells...So now I get to see how bad my cleaning regiment is, and how badly I have heat checked my barrels...And how much the throat has grown. The good news is now I will know when I need a new barrel, rather than guessing.

Squeeze

Squeeze, don't be to surprised when you look down all your barrels and the throat on all of them looks like an alligators back. When I first started using my bore scope, having never used one before, I thought ohhhh no, then immediately called my gunsmith. He told me it was very normal for the throat to look like hel1, and that I'd be surprised at how few rounds it takes before a throat starts showing firecracking and not to worry about it unless my gun starts shooting poorly and or the COAL to touching, has grown a good amount.

In case anyone is looking for one of these, Brownells has the Lyman bore scope on sale for$175. Read on another forum these are being closed out getting ready for newer model.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: McGrawIn case anyone is looking for one of these, Brownells has the Lyman bore scope on sale for$175.

Took Matthew (Matlock) out on a short rock chuck hunt a few days ago (he got a 384 yard kill on one of them- good shooting, Matt!) and he brought along his new Lyman bore scope to show me how it worked. He used a couple of my guns that I thought were clean. Man! Did I have a few things to learn yet about proper bore cleaning! I only looked at my .223 AI and my .204 to realized that not only could I benefit from having a good bore scope, but that it was absolute essential if I ever wanted to get mine as clean as they should be.

I ordered one that very day from Brownell's. Looks like I got some serious gun cleaning ahead of me. Good thing squirrel season is almost over I guess.

Back