6.5 Creedmoor Factory Coyote Ammo

mik233

Always been a Magnum kinda guy and just borrowed friends smaller cal rifles for coyotes and deer. Just picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor a week ago and have shot quite a few factory rounds through it just to get a base line while I wait for the rest of my reloading components to show.

I just got invited to go coyote hunting this weekend and id like to use this rifle but im not sure on what ammo to use with the gun.

Ive shot the 130 Prime, Federal 140 Fusions, hornady 140 Eldm, and Winchester 125 xp. The Prime and Hornady Both shoot right around 3/4 moa on average, which id prefer to use but these are both match rounds and im skeptical about using on animals. Not worried about pelt damage as I am not able to keep pelts at this time.

anyone have any experience with any of these rounds on coyotes?

ive shot the prime & hornady out to 600 on a steel 8 inch plate and it rings it all day, just worried about dogs getting away with match rounds.

Just because it says match does not mean it cannot be used for hunting. I use a lot of match bullets for hunting everything. They come apart on impact just fine.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Just because it says match does not mean it cannot be used for hunting. I use a lot of match bullets for hunting everything. They come apart on impact just fine.

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus.
thumbup1.gif

The Hornady 140’s are by far the most accurate factory ammo I’ve ever seen.
I don’t have a CM, but my buddies consistently shoot groups that are nearly equal to their handloads.

Given the time of year, it's unlikely you'll save fur, so just take the ammo you've been ringing steel with and ring coyotes with it. Easy.

The Hornady Eldm bullets are just re-tipped a-max bullets, so they should be quite a hammer on coyotes. Like fw707 said these bullets are accurate. IMO the Eldm 140’s is what has made this whole Creedmoor epidemic. A guy can go buy a case of these on the cheap, and look like he has tailored loads for his rifle.

I shoot the 108 match Hornadys out of my 6mm Creedmoor, they kill em dead every time...shoot anything HORNADY and you will be fine.

Last edited:
The only runners I have seen with the 6.5's have been with match bullets so I don't know that I would go with the ELDM. The ELDX, is the replacement for the SST and the ELDM is the replacement for the Amax bullet. So if your going with the Hornady's, run the ELDX. The point of impact should stay the same between the ELDM and ELDX so you shouldn't have to re-zero.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoThe only runners I have seen with the 6.5's have been with match bullets so I don't know that I would go with the ELDM. The ELDX, is the replacement for the SST and the ELDM is the replacement for the Amax bullet. So if your going with the Hornady's, run the ELDX. The point of impact should stay the same between the ELDM and ELDX so you shouldn't have to re-zero.

How many of these runners were shot with ELD-Ms? Where were they hit? How far did they run?

Back