Factory Chassis Rifles...Opinions needed

greengt88

Ive decided its time to add a factory chassis rifle to the collection...calibers im looking at are .243, 6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor....I do not reload.

The .243 narrows it down quite a bit on choices, looks like a Howa HCR is all i can find.

Choices in the other cals are alot better, ive been considering, Rem 700 PCR, Weatherby, Tikka, the Savage Asbury Precision (is this worth the extra $ over the Stealth?) and Christensen Arms, also wondering if the CA is worth the extra $$ over the other brands.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

I too am thinking along those lines. Im trying to keep weight down, so I decided to go w/Manners. Problem is, that there are so many, many options, it makes choosing which bells and whistles to get difficult.
Im thinking about attending a PRS competition sometime to see and get a handle on a bunch of different models. I am also considering a train ride to Manners to look over all of the choices in person.
My bud has a RPR, and it's just not me. The Tikka, on the other hand, is the one I would get if I decide against the manners route. The cycling of the actions are not just night and day, they are universes apart.
The Bergara's are tempting, but the Tikka butter-smooth action ha me in it's spell at the moment. My Tikka T3x lite in 270 win goes half MOA w/several different bullet weights and loads. The Yo-Dave trigger spring is good for around 2 lbs.

I typically have bought Tikka's and Sako's.
I have read about the Bergara rifles and my perception is the safety does not lock the bolt. If this is the case it's a deal breaker for me.

The RPR is not one im considering, too many issues and problems, never a good thing when a gen2 comes out within a year of the flagship model....The Tikka TAC A1 is def a contender, but the price is alittle steep for what you are getting...was not aware of the bolt issue with the bergara, will have to look into that more.

Patriot Valley arms is very intriguing, seems to be based on a custom action....i need to do some more research as this is a big monetary purchase for me

Unfortunately none of these rifles are available for me to look at anywhere locally in person.

Originally Posted By: zr600Check out the bergara line of rifles they have very nice rifles too.

I'll second that. My Bergara B14 Hunter .308 is a very nice and accurate rifle. Comes with a 1 MOA 100 yard guarantee with quality factory ammo, and also comes with a factory installed Timney trigger. Handloads with140 gr. TSX will group just slightly over 1/2".

they all seem to have an accuracy guarantee, im coming off a range certified weatherby, the action was impressive as was the trigger, but accuracy left alot to be desired, it never printed smaller than 1 inch @ 100yds...I have no problem paying for the bergara elite or the christensen, but if the others are comparable and i can save some towards my optic i wont complain...basically wanna do it once and do it right and eliminate the well maybe i shouldve went with this rifle instead.

I would seriously consider the bergara. Before making rifles they were known for the three barrels. They use the same exact process that Shilen does on there barrels. Ed Shilen actually taught bergara how to make barrels. They have a very smooth action too, plus the upper end rifles come with a trigger tech trigger. Pretty sure the b14 models come with a bergara trigger which aren’t a bad trigger either. I have a bergara hmr6.5 creedmoor factory trigger is set at like 2.5lbs it is very nice for a factory trigger I thought. Plus bergara has great customer service if it is needed.

A friend of mine showed me a Masterpiece arms 6.5creedmoor that is on a 3 lug Curtis action. It seemed to me like a very nice rig! The action was very smooth and bolt lift was nice especially considering it was a 3 lug. He hasn't shot it yet but has a nice accuracy guarantee. I liked it a lot! I am not sure what model it was but they have a nice selection of choices as well as options.

I've had three chassis rifles and have come to the conclusion they aren't for me. They look cool but I just don't like the way they fit me. Conventional stocks and ones with a vertical grip suit me better. If you haven't got to shoot one, my suggestion is to find someone that will let you spend some time behind it. Might not be what your really want and could save you some money.

I'm with you pyscodog. I have several vertical grip "conventional" stocked rifles and zero chassis rifles. They do look good. They don't fit my hands either. But if I was going to move towards one it would likely be the MPA I mentioned.

Last edited:
i feel like going the conventional stock (lets just say a McMillan A3) is going to end up costing more than a chassis setup.

I really have my eye on the Howa HCR, it seems to tick all the boxes for alot less money the any of the other brands.
at $1350 i can be into a complete scoped setup, obviously the package scope isnt great but will do the job and can be easily upgraded later as my ability improves....i have a $2000 budget for Rifle, Optic, Rail and Rings....so anything left over can go towards, ammo, bags, shooting mat, etc.
I will be easily at max budget if i go with the Stealth Evo....just things im considering. Open to all thoughts and opinions...I dont know anyone that owns a chassis rifle for me to try and cant find any at local dealers either

Although the Howa is probably a good rifle, If I were buying and wanted an accurate rifle, I would have to go Savage. They have the reputation for out of the bx accuracy. My friend's son just bought a Gen 2 Ruger RPR and its getting pretty amazing groups with very little load work. Its a 6CM.

I am curious to know what exactly is blueprinted on the Savage Evo action, it does to my knowledge have an oversized recoil lug, but beyond that im unsure. As far as i know not much needs to be done on the savage....so what are u actually paying for?

Back