Dogtown ammo

triumph001

Anyone have any experience with dogtown loaded ammo? They just came out with a 22 nosler version. Might be good blaster ammo if nothing else. Hey, a guy has to do something to burn out that pos stoner barrel as quickly as possible.
smile.gif

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/174786...ammo-can-of-200

What makes you believe that Stoner barrels are POS. Have you tuned your ammo to your barrel. I don't own a Stoner barrel, but if you don't reload and tune I just don't see how you can blame the barrel.

Note the smiley face at the end of my first post. I’m not blaming the barrel for anything, I bought it knowing it probably wasnt going to shoot like a custom rifle and it doesn’t. Mine shoots ok but for just over $100 I dont think anyone expects much out of them. Up to this point I think dogtown has only been selling 223 loaded ammo but I don’t know that for sure. Not a ton of ammo options out there for 22 nosler, especially at this price point. I do like the performance that the nosler brings to the table and am planning on using it to go out and take a poke at the local prarie dogs soon. I don’t reload and am just looking for anyone with first hand experience with dogtown ammo, good or bad.

Im not sure how the dogtowns would be on coyotes but if it shoots to your liking I would stock pile. Even when brass was on the best sale you couldnt load it for that.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd be trying it, and if it shot well and the speed was up to par then buy that stuff up. That's cheaper than buying empty brass!

I belives these are the SHOTS rebranded. I just loaded up 5 rounds of 55 SHOTS with 33 grains of cfe223 and only ended up with 3 holes in the target. This was out of my 22" 8 twist bhw.
Not sure about that 2770 but Im guessing they are coming apart. Chrono still in one piece so....not sure.
These shots shoot great out of my 26" 220 swift 14 twist just over 3600 so maybe a 12 twist is needed in the 22 Nosler. Maybe I will test them in my woa 12 twist but it has the xp50 on it and I would need a handwarmer etc.

Last edited:
When you get the ammo, can you report brass make? I was looking at some for my FIL's 204, ended up just getting unprepped nosler brass for him. If it's Nosler brass then it's a no-brainer.

I’d be interested to hear a report on the ammo as well. Was thinking about getting some in 204 and 22 Nosler

Just opened a can of the.223 53gr dogtown ammo.It is indeed nosler brass.Nice and clean ammo looks fantastic.Thinking about going back for seconds on the .223 and picking up some of the .243 70gr also if its still on sale.The .223 looks identical to the 53gr varmageddon ammo to me.BTW the ammo can is pretty nice also even has rubber seal on lid lol...

Got the box of 22 nosler ammo today. It is nosler brass and little doubt it is topped with ballistic tips. Just thinking out loud here but it makes me wonder if this is a way to get rid of what might have been left of the original run of brass that was reported by many handloaders as being a bit soft for their comfort. Its fine with me as I dont reload and at this price if it gets left out on the prarie it isnt too big a deal. Will see what the next couple weeks bring and report back if I am able to shoot it.

Just noticed dogtown no longer on sale.Glad I got my order for the .243 in yesterday lol...triumph better hang onto that brass can't never tell when that reloading bug will bite you...

Top with ballistic tips?????
I don't believe the Dogtown bullets have the thicker base at the bottom like the ballistic tips making them much more explosive throughout the entire bullets length. I'm curious to know what twists and barrel length you will be running the 22 Nosler through and how they work.

Last edited:
I missed the sale but may get some to try anyway. The bullets I’m pretty sure are the varmegeddon bullets, not ballistic tips.

Yep, looks like I misspoke. After searching the nosler site I see that they do have the same black tip as the varmageddon bullets. Not reloading in over 15 years has lead to my mild ignorance of what projectiles are available. At that time if it had a plastic tip and my buddy and I were loading it it was a ballistic tip. I am hoping to get out Sunday and toss a few down range.

Im guessing they will be just a shade over 3300 out of that stoner. I'm curious to see someone push them in a longer barrel to see if they stay together with an eight twist.

Last edited:
I’m hoping to order some soon. I have a 1:8 22” WOA in 22 Nosler. I believe they’d be fine. Have shot 55 BTs through it before. I’ll post up here once I get some in and shot.

Back