YOU'RE CARRYING AND GETTING PULLED OVER, NOW WHAT?

Originally Posted By: reaper4Even Maryland is not a must inform state until you are asked but there are not many permit holders here (very difficult to get) most people I come across are officers off duty but on occasion I will come across someone who has their hands on the wheel and let me know they are armed. At that point right there they pretty much get out of any moving violation they may have committed. People don’t understand how much that kind of thing is appreciated.

Refreshing to hear that

Me and a hunting buddy dropped off the mountain one day to eat some real food and use an actual toilet. Once we get into cell range he gets a v mail from his wife who had gotten fired. So we decide I'll drop him off and head back upto finish the hunt.

Anyway, I'm not paying attention and get popped for speeding. We each have a 44m on our hip, the back seat is an assorted armory of lever and bolts. We're elk hunting in an area where a shot can be 5 feet or 1500 yards, were where there are some big bears in the area and we're prepped for it all. Anyway we finish the initial chat and the hp starts walking back.

"Watch him" I say, "he's going to reposition his car." Which he does.

"Why did he do that?" He asks. "He's putting his engine block between him and us."

"Ok, why?" "In case we decide to get out of the truck. It looks like we're trying to take over a 3rd world country."

"Will that help?" "Normally yeah, but today it's just better than nothing."

Anyway a few minutes later we're on our way. I do some quick math in my head and say, give it about 5 minutes and we're going to pass another car. About 3.5 later we pass a deputy cruising triple digits in the direction we came from.

Point being sometimes you don't have to say anything, we just KNOW somehow
laugh.gif

I live in a "may inform" state. Unless I believe the officer will see the gun, I would not inform. I will make sure everything I need is away from the gun, which I'm likely basically sitting on anyways.

I used to live in a "must inform" state. I came into contact with the police and as soon as I kindly informed the officer I was a CCW holder and was armed, he became physically agitated. I politely complied with his request to disarm me, which was not a disarming but a full on body search. At the conclusion of our interaction he had the revolver in one hand and 5 rounds in the other, and refused to give them to me. He said I could reload and shoot him before he could get in his car. So I told him to give me the ammunition and lock my gun in my own trunk and leave my keys on the opposite side of my car. So he locked my gun in the trunk, lobbed my keys over my car, threw my rounds in the dirt, and got out of there as fast as he could. This was a situation in which I had called THEM to assist in recovery of stolen property, in a small town rural area, where I was a known quantity from a "good family". There were several times I thought he might pull on me.

And then there is this... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...0620-story.html

I had a friend that was a Tulsa reserve cop. Just a wanna be. He was one of the most paranoid people I have ever known. He's an IT guy by trade and a reserve cop evenings and week-ends. After 8 years as a reserve, he quit Tulsa and became a reserve sheriff. Still if not worse just a paranoid as ever. He carries at least two pistols when doing his regular job, makes the wife and kids stay outside until he "sweeps" the house in the evening. Its only a matter of time before he shoots someone. I don't blame cops for being cautious, there are some crazy SOB's out there, but some take it way to far. Some are just a little to quick with the trigger finger.

Sorry if this is not relevant with the OP's post. The post above mine just sparked a thought.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen it mentioned here, so I apologize if I overlooked it, but..

In KY your concealed carry status is in the system as a part of your driver’s license/vehicle registration.
When any LEO in KY runs your vehicle plate numbers, the info he gets back shows that the owner has a CC permit, so he knows that when he walks up to your door.

I was a wannabe for almost 12 years in California as a level 1 reserve. I had over 1200 hours of department/FBI training, not including 10 days of pistol/shotgun qualifying per year. I could have gone full time if I had wanted, (they would have sent me to the academy) but, couldn't have lived on the wages our small city was paying at the time. I didn't do this for the fame or the money! As a level 1 reserve I was paid $2.25 per hour! Many times I came home with a torn shirt, scuffed pants and unfortunately blood on my clothes from car wreck victims. I received 4 awards for good service from the department. Sorry, but, not all wannabes are the same!

Originally Posted By: newmexkidI was a wannabe for almost 12 years in California as a level 1 reserve. I had over 1200 hours of department/FBI training, not including 10 days of pistol/shotgun qualifying per year. I could have gone full time if I had wanted, (they would have sent me to the academy) but, couldn't have lived on the wages our small city was paying at the time. I didn't do this for the fame or the money! As a level 1 reserve I was paid $2.25 per hour! Many times I came home with a torn shirt, scuffed pants and unfortunately blood on my clothes from car wreck victims. I received 4 awards for good service from the department. Sorry, but, not all wannabes are the same!

Your story sounds like the story of a good friend. He did everything right.
They staved him out and then gave the full time job to a women. They had to get him to quit.
I got him to go back to college and he doing okay today. He ran for Sherriff and won.
That was 20 years ago. He is still the "High Sherriff". All his men look up to him.
Wish you well in all you do. I took over after you in 69 thru 72 in the war, it got no better.

Back in 1977 I had a 72 Cuda with a 340 in it. Pretty quick car thru the 1/4 mile. I was in Jamestown N.D. And got pulled over. City Cop came up to the door and said, can I see your lic. I looked at him and said can I shoot your gun. He seen no humor in it at all.

Some people

get the CCW app. answers all the questions on where legal to carry, show or tell cops, etc for all 50 states. It's a very worth while purchase if you carry and travel !!

Last edited:
Back