22lr Scope recommendation

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneGot the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 side focus yesterday. Wooo-wooo! It's
everything I could hope for as far as clarity. Unlike too many scopes
with mil-dot, the X-hairs are pretty fine and will not cover small
bulls-eyes.

Will be checking it out when it is not so windy.

I put a Talos on my Ruger Precision Rimfire. I like it!!

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23I've always thought the Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 was a perfect match on a 22lr.

You bet. I believe that just about any quality 2-7X is super for most all .22 rifles. I have a 35 year old Redfield Widefield on my 40+ year old 10/22 and just think that's a perfect combo.

I thought I was the only one in free world that liked a Widefield.
I have a nice 3X9 put away for a special rifle. Even have scope caps for it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: DannoBooneGot the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 side focus yesterday. Wooo-wooo! It's
bulls-eyes.

Great scope and for the money it's hard to beat

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23I've always thought the Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 was a perfect match on a 22lr.

You bet. I believe that just about any quality 2-7X is super for most all .22 rifles. I have a 35 year old Redfield Widefield on my 40+ year old 10/22 and just think that's a perfect combo.

Great minds think alike, Willy!

I have had many kinds of scopes on that particular .22 and I keep going back to that old Redfield. I have not taken it off in about 5 years now and looks like I never will again unless (God forbid!) it breaks or something. Love that scope and gun combo.

I am a big fan of Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9x40 Target EFR scope. Being able to dial in the parallax when shooting a 22lr beyond 50 yards is a great feature. I have used this scope on numerous 22's from bolt action to 10/22's. A new offering from Nikon that you might be interested in checking out is the P-Tactical 3-9x40. While this scope doesn't have parallax adjustment it does come with a MOA reticle that you can dial in using Nikon's Spot On Program. A great feature when stretching out the distance on your 22lr. Last week I took a newbie to shooting and these are a couple of the 22's she shot. 10/22 with an integrally suppressed barrel and a CZ 455 also with an integrally suppressed barrel.
The top scope is the PROSTAFF EF; bottom is an old MONARCH with adjustable objective.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd36....06.01%20AM.png

I would go with the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II. I own one and it's amazing. The BDC reticle works well, the cost is low, quality is fair. I have it on my Savage MKII with a bipod. I usually use it for prairie dogs but when I hunt rabbits in the winter head-shots every time. If you just want a standard duplex reticle I would say the Vortex Crossfire II, Leopold VX-1, or anything around that $100-200 range. Also make sure you get quality rings.

The greatest 22 LR scope ever made for shooting to 200ish yds. and even beyond was the 3-9X PFI Rapid Reticle. They now have a 3-12X model but no target turret like the original had.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: DannoBooneGot the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 side focus yesterday. Wooo-wooo! It's
bulls-eyes.

Got the chance to shoot it on the XT-22 yesterday. At first,
sighting in was frustrating. Vertical adjustment was a cinch,
but horizontal adjustments were over-compensating until I just
turned the knob back & forth a few times. Then adjustments were
normal....weird! Overall, I'm very pleased.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: DannoBooneGot the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 side focus yesterday. Wooo-wooo! It's
bulls-eyes.

Got the chance to shoot it on the XT-22 yesterday. At first,
sighting in was frustrating. Vertical adjustment was a cinch,
but horizontal adjustments were over-compensating until I just
turned the knob back & forth a few times. Then adjustments were
normal....weird! Overall, I'm very pleased.

Uhhhhh,
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why in the heck are you “very pleased” with a new scope that wouldn’t track correctly right out of the box??

rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23I've always thought the Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 was a perfect match on a 22lr.

Got a 2x7 Widefield that I bought some time back on gunbroker just like new,do not think has ever been mounted...no wear anywhere. Got it on a CZ 22 hornet and for $166 delivered to my door best deal ever got on a scope. Put it up against any scope made today and what I like about it no big turrets, bells, focus rings, etc....cannot find these type anymore.

My rimfires all have a Weaver Classic 4-16, great value, great optics and has worked well for me. Kinda old school I know but they are good scopes.

Originally Posted By: longrange2My rimfires all have a Weaver Classic 4-16, great value, great optics and has worked well for me. Kinda old school I know but they are good scopes.

The fine xhair is awesome on an accurate heavy barreled 22. Not what I would put on a sporter though.

I ended up going with a Tract Fire 3-9x40. I had been looking at these for a couple years now. I have to say, I’m impressed. The crosshairs at the center are very fine, but gets thicker like a duplex. It has a couple of hash marks below for longer range, although I haven’t had a chance to test them yet. It also has push/pull turrets if I ever feel the need to crank turrets! I will probably just keep them capped.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/22fire-3-9x40-bdc

Last edited:
Back