CZ 223

pyscodog

My 527 Varmint is acting a little finicky as to what bullet it shoots. Granted, its got less than 100 rounds through it but groups aren't what I was hoping for yet.Its a 9 twist barrel so I've tried 40, 52, 53 grain bullets and now I'm going to try some 60's. Most groups are hovering around an inch at 100yds. I know this rifle will do better than that. I just haven't found the right load yet.

Go a little heavier. I have a nine twist Savage that likes 69 grain Sierra BTHP. It also likes the Hornaday 75 grain BTHP.

Ya, I'm kinda working up the inventory of bullets. Really prefer 55 grain and lower but I'll shoot what it likes, not what I like. Its still pretty new, things may change after I get some rounds through it.

My 1/9" barreled .223 really shot well with both the 50 grain Vmax as well as the Ballistic Tips when propelled by 26 grains of Varget. Mild too. I used the CCI BR primer most of the time but not too sure the cap matters all that much. I know that mine shot its best with them so that's what I used most of the time. They are stupid expensive nowadays so not too fond of using them anymore.

Shooting 55 varmageddons in mine with benchmark and a CCI BR primer.

By the way, at this point I’m convinced varmageddon directly translates to “much better than v-max”

If trying various bullets doesn't solve the problem, you might try torking the stock screws. My 527 .17 Rem was shooting great until I removed the stock in order to adjust the trigger. When I replaced the stock, the group widened considerably. I don't have a tork wrench but just tightened the screws the same number of turns and accuracy returned. If I recall correctly, DoubleUp had the same problem.

Not saying the stock is the issue with your rifle, but maybe something to consider.. Good luck, and keep us informed when you find the solution.

I have had mine out of the stock also. The screws were unbelievable tight and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get them out but finally did. I tightened them but not near as tight as from the factory. I have a torque wrench but no idea how tight to tighten them. Its a walnut factory stock.

I just tried torquing the screws but with the cheezy screwdriver slots, its almost impossible to get a good torque setting as the screws just don't want to hold my driver securely. Gonna need to get some replacement screws with an allen or torx head to really get an accurate torque. Any suggestions where??? Ace?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just tried torquing the screws but with the cheezy screwdriver slots, its almost impossible to get a good torque setting as the screws just don't want to hold my driver securely. Gonna need to get some replacement screws with an allen or torx head to really get an accurate torque. Any suggestions where??? Ace?

J&P Products has what you are looking for but they charge a ridiculous amount for them. I bought a set for one of my CZ 527's. It cost me nearly $40, after shipping was added, for two stupid little screws.
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/CZ-MODEL-527-ACTION-SCREW-SET-p72239482

I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench to set the torque on all of my guns.
My centerfire are all at 35-45 in.lbs and rimfires are usually right around 18ish in.lbs.

If you have a tip that fits the screw head in these CZ's really well it's not so bad but it'd sure be nice if they can from the factory with hex head screws.

Thanks B23. I looked.........$25 for two screws and $8 for shipping. But you get an allen wrench with it. What a deal. $33 for two screw and a cheap allen wrench. I think I'm in the wrong line of work.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThanks B23. I looked.........$25 for two screws and $8 for shipping. But you get an allen wrench with it. What a deal. $33 for two screw and a cheap allen wrench. I think I'm in the wrong line of work.

not sure about the wrong line of work, but if you were to pay that much for 2 little screws you should have your head examined.

tell me exactly what you need and i will get them to your door for $31.00. guaranteed.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodogThanks B23. I looked.........$25 for two screws and $8 for shipping. But you get an allen wrench with it. What a deal. $33 for two screw and a cheap allen wrench. I think I'm in the wrong line of work.

not sure about the wrong line of work, but if you were to pay that much for 2 little screws you should have your head examined.

tell me exactly what you need and i will get them to your door for $31.00. guaranteed.
smile.gif

And to add insult to injory, the cheap little friggin allen wrench they include with their GROSSLY overpriced screws didn't even effing fit properly.
cursing.gif

I'd add more to this post of displeasure with J&P but I'm late for my weekly appointment of electroshock therapy at my psychiatrists, it's what they recommended after I had my head examined, and you don't even wanna know where they hook those probes up at.
scared.gif

hey b23, along with cheap cz stock screws i have a special running right now on electro shock therapy. $49.95 for the first one and if you make it through that one the second is half price.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnothey b23, along with cheap cz stock screws i have a special running right now on electro shock therapy. $49.95 for the first one and if you make it through that one the second is half price.

Well, considering I was dumb enough to spend the better part of 40 freakin dollars on two screws and an Allen wrench that didn't fit, go ahead and pencil me in for a couple sessions.
thumbup.gif

Back