Coyote on the trot

Bowhntr6pt

Tried a new place tonight... didn't take long to get this male. About 30 minutes later I got skunked by two that came in pretty fast and wouldn't play nice... sure was fun unloading on them though.

6.8 SPC with 120gr SST hand loads.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioNice, but looks pretty humid down there...

Yep... getting ready to call it a season and wait until summer ends.

Pretty sweet video. I can't wait to get into thermals. Just wandering, what's the appeal of 6.8 over conventional varmint calibers like .223, 22-250, etc?

My son is building a 6.8 upper with hogs in mind. I think that's why people choose the 6.8, so they can reasonably hunt larger game like deer and hogs as well as coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Vect0rstarPretty sweet video. I can't wait to get into thermals. Just wandering, what's the appeal of 6.8 over conventional varmint calibers like .223, 22-250, etc?

Well... hogs as you know are tough animals and can take a lot.

I'm a shooter, reloader, and got into the 6.8 years ago just because it's something different and arguably has more juice than the .223.

Even though I can shoot 70gr Semi-Spitzers and 77gr OTM's out of my Ar's, I like the flavors and changes the 6mmx45, .30 HRT, 6.8 SPC, and 6.5 Grendel offer... I load them all, shoot them all, and kill hogs with them all.

I'm not one to get wrapped up in a few hundred FPS here or there or 20gr bullet weight +/- here or there... I just like tinkering with all the different rounds as I believe proper shot placement within 300 yards has all these guys performing close enough to each other.

Bowhntr6pt, I share the same thoughts as you about tinkering with different rifles, calibers etc. To me that's half the fun and is exciting to test various things.

What do you think about the 6.5 Grendel, for accuracy first, and then as a hog and coyote cartridge? Pros / Cons?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Bowhntr6pt, I share the same thoughts as you about tinkering with different rifles, calibers etc. To me that's half the fun and is exciting to test various things.

What do you think about the 6.5 Grendel, for accuracy first, and then as a hog and coyote cartridge? Pros / Cons?

As you probably already know, 6.5mm in just about anything produces great accuracy. While I've not spent time squeezing the last 1/4" performance from the Grendel, others on other gun boards I visit have... and with exceptional results.

Back