Prairie dog hunting

YVC

Hello, I am new to this forum but it looks interesting. I was wondering the best month to shoot prairie dogs, and the best state to do it in. I have read that they are active from May to September, and that South Dakota is the best state for it. I would like to find out more. Was possibly wanting to take my son on a prairie dog hunt in early August in South Dakota. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

SD is good, yo'll have to have a varmint license if I'm not mistaken. I would post on the "varmint hunting" thread, those are more the range rat shooters

Prairie dogs don't hibernate.
I love to catch them out on a bright sunny day in December with a foot of snow.
RED MIST !!!! Gota love it.
I think Spring just after the pups come up, WAY more targets and chances for more then one with a shot.
Like about now or first of may.
Wyoming, East Montana are good Thousands of acers of public lands and NO license needed in Montana.

You mentioned taking your son. I take the kids out in May and June. The young pups are out and are a lot easier for them to get close too. Stupid too. But any month works for practice.

Late May through early June is without a doubt the best time to shoot dogs, in any state. SD, ND, WY, MT, CO all have good number of dogs.

The area I go to in South Dakota has not recovered from the plague so check before you go also you need a nonresident predator/varmint lic and if you hunt on tribal ground you need a tribal lic and a guide
Masterblaster

Back