Criterion barrels

Not too sure what you mean by "what style", Gary. I have a 26" .204 Criterion on my M12 Savage and it is has a 1/11" twist. If I ever wear it out I will buy my another one in a heartbeat.

Heard they were 3 groove polygonal but cant confirm that. I have a BHW 6X45 that's 3 groove polygonal and it shoots lights out.
Early planning stages of building a 20 practical probably off a savage model 12.

Last edited:
Mine and I am pretty sure all of them are land and groove rifled. As far as I know BHW are the only 3 groove polygonal barrels out there. Tactical Ordinance is a new company the guys at Ritch's precision started using and they are 5 groove polygonal, GLShooter has a good bit of testing posted up in the AR section on a Tactical Ordinance 6x6.8 barrel and it's looking hot.

I love my Criterion but as long as the accuracy is equal, which it is looking like I think the polygonal would be my choice. My Criterion is on a Savage target action and set up for accurate long range stuff with a 32x Nighforce and my polygonal BHW barrels are on ARs with 4x for close hunting stuff so comparing accuracy isn't possible but I sure love the polygonal, I've been thinking about a polygonal 7mm magnum for the Savage target action, I am sure that would really sing.

The Criterion is land and groove. The only true poly barrels available are BHW, 3's, and TO that are 5's. Pressure is lower and speeds are up. This 3R and 5R stuff you read about is lands and groove but they lay them over a bit and round the trailing edge. Lots of claims. They do foul a tad less and are a tad faster but not even close to a poly. One seller implies they are poly and he blows smoke up his customers buts with the inference.

Greg

Last edited:
Thanks Greg and Rock Knocker
Do you know if BHW MAKES A 20 PRACTICAL barrel for a savage bolt action?
Gary

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 7887mm08Thanks Greg and Rock Knocker
Do you know if BHW MAKES A 20 PRACTICAL barrel for a savage bolt action?
Gary

They have that capability.

Greg

Last edited:
Don't shoot the messenger.....but I heard the Criterion was actually a Kreiger barrel only button rifled instead of cut. Made in the same factory. Later on, Criterion moved out and became a company on their own. I had a 308 barrel and a friend has a 6.5CM and a 6CM and they all shot extremely well.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDon't shoot the messenger.....but I heard the Criterion was actually a Kreiger barrel only button rifled instead of cut. Made in the same factory.

Same thing I heard, so they gotta shoot both of us.

http://criterionbarrels.com

“Criterion Barrels, Inc.
Criterion was founded in response to demands of rifle builders and firearms manufacturers for quality button rifled match grade barrels at a reasonable cost. Initially a division of Krieger, Criterion is now completely independent with a separate facility, personnel, and ownership.“

Back