300 Blkout 16” supersonic!

wileyote

Well first thing! Thank God! I finally got forced to relocate and leave this State.
I’ve been doing a little preparing for the chance to rifle hunt game larger than a Coyote.
(Illinois rifle rules) I pieced together a 300 Blkout. 16” BA barrel, carbine length gas, Colt Bcg, PSA Upp/Lower! Non suppressed!
Wanna visit my oldest son in Dallas area ( he recently relocated)
And Drop My first hog!
Any words on factory ammo to dial in, or feedback?
Very Anxious to finish rifle.

for hunting - the king of factory ammo is the Barnes Tac-Tx "blacktip" ammo. its available in 110gr (origional recipie) or the newer 120gr offering.

performance - accuracy wise - is more than acceptable and terminal performance - when metal meets meat - is outstanding because of how the bullet is designed.

for a factory "blaster" load, the remington 120gr HP is a great choice. its actually barnes ammo loaded with the remington label on the box - barnes brass, barnes bullet! this is the stuff you want

117402.jpg

its pretty much become the gold standard for function and basic accuracy testing - if your gun wont cycle this, or shoot it at least reasonably accuracy, you know you've got a mechanical issue to deal with!

I dont have my data in front of me at the moment but over the chronograph in my rifle and pistol the numbers were quite nice and it generally shoots MOA or a smidge better.

however the bullet design is not meant for expansion so its not a suitable hunting bullet.

almost all of the 150gr and 147gr ammo you see out there falls under the same category - good blaster stuff, but not hunter ammo. However the new speer 150gr 300blk bullet shows some promise in this realm.

for the most part - hunting ammo is going to be 110-135gr stuff

hth

as an added note - one of the common hunting loads you'll see mentioned for the caliber is the hornady 110gr vmax or the nosler 110gr varmageddon ammo.

typically these bullets are classified of course as varmint bullets. however thats based on their intended design velocity usage. at 300 blk speeds both of these projectiles will act more like a typical bonded SP type medium/large game hunting bullet - good controlled expansion and mushrooming. They're quite suitable for stuff like whitetail deer, etc.

I'll 2nd the REM UMC 120 OT FB as a decent factory round & good brass.
I got 2101 fps from my Anderson 16" barrel with them.
My yote load for that gun is 110 VMAX over Lil'gun & runs ~2300 fps.

Thanks, the Remington 120 gr. Cycles and shoots very nicely ( which is all I have right now). Wasn’t aware it was Barnes.
I’ll definitely be on the lookout for the Tac-TX.

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaI will agree 110gr is the best load for 300BLK

Trying to have enough $$ to give Mommy! AKA- the boss! For the kids
To buy me the luppy VXR-Hog fer Dads Day!
wink.gif

Can’t wait to get out to Florida and make new contacts, n, Bacon hunting experience!
My oldest lives in Texas, so hopefully I can get a few trips n hunts

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late to the party but I have a 16" .300BLK AR15 that I've taken to SC for public land hog hunts. It wears a Vortex Diamondback HP 2x8x32 scope with a duplex. I shoot Wilson Combat loaded ammo with the 110gr Tac-TX bullet. Very accurate and one of the fastest factory loads in the 300BLK. They test their velocities using a 16" AR15 barrel.

Back