Groundhog Talley

Originally Posted By: whyGot 2 earlier in the week and headed to the western shore yesterday. Shot 2 @ 235 and 320 and moved to another farm. As I pulled into the lane I saw one on a fence row, ranged him @ 520 and got set up with my 223 ack imp shooting 75 gr Amax #3 for the day. I drove down the lane and setup on a hill over looking a hayfield/pasture, shot 3 more from there @ 340, 560 and 594. These last 4 were all shot from my tripod while standing. They are my longest kills from the tripod, I am really liking this thing. 36 for the year.

Dear god, man. What scope are you running on that? I can't even find anywhere to shoot over 300 yards. Ha-ha!

I'm bowing out at this point. It'll be exciting to see how many you bag this year!

Flesh Eater, scope is a Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 the old UCC model.

crittr gittr, it's a tri-x stand. A fellow in Pa. makes them, it's a very stable platform but it weighs about 12 lbs. His names is E W Calls, he has a web site if you want to see one. I got it for nite hunting but am playing with it for Ghogs and am really impressed with it

Not hitting them as hard this year...at least yet. These 2 from today put me at 4, all with my suppressed Savage B22.

Yb9DW4J.jpg

Been off to a slow start this year. Been super busy with work and projects at home. Got my first on Tuesday at 300 yards with my 204. Waiting for first cut hay to be made and for beans to come out of the ground, then my numbers should pick up.

Managed to get out for the first time in years with an old friend from OH while visiting family. Brought along my suppressed Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel mounted on a Palmetto Armory lower I put together last year. Started out raining so we went to a farm my friend said he hadn't been to in several years. The farm had expanded considerably since then, providing shots out to 700 yards. We pulled into an empty, open barn and set up his pivoting Caldwell shooting bench on the platform over the bed of his pickup truck and waited. All toll, we saw eleven grounds hogs and took 5 during several hours of glassing. Had shots from 80 to 600 yds. Best was 400 by my friend. I missed at 400 and 600, but managed to get this one at 212. Hope to do some more hunting when I get to PA for another trip to visit family.

Beans are out of the ground so I went out last night. Managed to get 5, all under 200 yards. First cut hay will be off in a couple days so my numbers should increase then.

Got out last night, 7 more out of the field I got 5 in a couple nights ago. 14 so far this year. The rain is really putting a damper on getting hay off

Have shot 5 more the past couple nights to bring my total to 19. Longest shot still at 300 yards, with a couple around 290. Hoping to break the 400 yard mark this year with my 204.

Hit a couple of smaller farms yesterday. I haven't been to these this year and was happy to find that the hay had been recently cut. Went 17 straight and missed or at least couldn't find #18 then got the next one. 18 for 19 for the day. 141 so far this year.
I was shooting a 20vt with 32 zmax @ 3675-3700. Longest shot was only about 320 yds but the farmer is happy.

Back