Decoy Pup

Chad1754

I recently purchased my first decoy dog. Hes a 10 week old Mountain Cur coming from both parents being decoy dogs. I've hunted with decoy dogs and know a fair share about it but am wondering the best way to start training this young pup. He has a lot of grit and goes with me everywhere, I know to start taking him on hunts with me and being in the field will help tremendously but I'm wondering things to do for practice in the yard. I know to let him run with already trained decoy dogs but that option isn't readily available. I hope to get a fresh coyote this weekend so he has a scent drag. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have the idea.

I personally want my dog to be Pack Attached to me. Bonded! I also require stellar manners and obedience. In order to accomplish these things I believe that it is critical to spend as much time as possible with a pup.

-Sit, Stay, Come, Down
-Load Up
-Kennel/Crate Training
-Exposure to...Guns/People/Other Dog(s)/Dog Box, ETC.

Spending lots of time with him is the best thing you can do. Get him well broke to the collar at home! Spend lots of time making sure he knows what "come here" means. Do your part training him in the yard and you wont have to burn him to the ground in the field. (Which is the best way to ruin one.) After that show him coyotes. Thats all there is to it. He will either do it or not, nothing you can do to make him go to a coyote.

I personally dont trap coons, spray pee on a rag or drag a nasty coyote around behind a 4 wheeler. But if it makes ya happy then by all means do it. The first coyote any of my dogs see is one that I called in.

Back