My son's first coyote with his own decoy dog

dustinyotes

My son Hayden is 13 years old and has wanted a dog since about the time he started to talk. A few years ago I made him a deal that if he earned the money for the dog, GPS collar, and dog box then we would find him a dog. Hayden worked very hard saving his money and he got his dog in January of this year. We bought this pup from Stuntman here on the form. This is the day that I surprised him with his dog. He named her Trigger.

Hayden has worked hard training Trigger with basic obedience and has done a good job teaching her. He has been wanting to take Trigger coyote hunting with my dog Jo and we decided that she was ready to go yesterday.

We were up at 4:00 AM and headed to one of our favorite spots. Our first stand was blank and we were about 25 minutes into our second stand and I was about to leave when a coyote showed up. This is Trigger and Jo about 10 minutes before the coyote got there.

When the coyote showed up Hayden was very nervous for his dog, the coyote was directly into the sun and neither of our dogs could see it. I sent Jo out after the coyote but she couldn't see it in the sun and came back to us. The coyote started to get nervous and leave so I told Hayden to go ahead and shoot it. I wish the dogs could have worked the coyote but this was Hayden's first coyote and that was exciting enough.

Trigger did not get too close to the coyote, but she did bark at it a lot. We tried one more spot but the wind had really picked up and it was starting to get pretty hot so after that we called it a day.

The drive home was pretty quiet.

Nothing better than seeing your kids work hard and achieve their dreams and goals.

1689.gif

Changed to new HOM banner, but no pics in story, so...

Last edited:
WTG Hayden.
So how old was Trigger on her first hunt ?

Being cautions around that wild smelly yote show she's smart.
Betcha a coupler years from now she'll be all over them !!

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKGreat Job Hayden! Tell us more about Trigger. Breeding, size, parents, etc.

Trigger's dad is a mountain/kemmer cur cross and her mom is a jagd terrier. She is 8 months old and weighs around 30 pounds. She is very smart and has a lot of grit.

I noticed that the photos were not showing due to the photo bucket issues. I have added the photos back to this post for my son.

Very cool. Awesome story. I will share it with my boys. Family hunting is the best. Leaving out w my 10yr old tomm morning can't wait. His 1st yote n kitty trip.

I have not been on here for a couple weeks and it was nice to see this old post of mine come back up. Hayden has continued to work with Trigger and she has put on a bit more size since this hunt. Hayden and I are really looking forward to this spring and summer when we can get our dogs out and have some fun. I will be sure to post our trips on here.

Back