Linear compensator?

1trkyhntr

Anybody have experience with a linear compensator? Do they make a difference as far as noise and muzzle flash goes?
Archon Mfg makes the one that I am looking at.
I currently have a muzzle brake on my rifle.

compared to a muzzle brake - a linear compensator is going to sound like a 22lr for you.

they redirect the blast forward of the shooter, not back and to the sides for the loud concussion.

its just perception of course because of what direction everything is going, but at the shooters ear it does make a difference.

i put one on my 308 - one made my S.T.D because the side blast from even a standard flash hider was rocking the house too bad to annoy my dad when i was up there shooting.

as an added bonus - they make good thread protectors for DT suppressors as they dont need to be indexed in any way or anything.. just snug them down good and you're set to roll.

I like them for the sake of my calling buddies. My barrel is 16". When out calling w do not wear muffs or earplugs. I don't want to deafen my buds with a brake or flash hider if I shoot near them.

Thanks, now for the probably dumb question.
I plan to put it on a RRA Operator 3. How difficult is it to remove the brake that was factory installed and then install the compensator? Will I need to put the barrel in a vice?

We've sold a boatload of KVP Linear Comps.

As stated, they will direct noise forward. They don't make the rifle quieter, but do make it quieter sounding at your ear. They work well for hunting without ears to give a little less ringing.

You'll need a wrench to remove your existing muzzle brake and most likely will not need a vice, but if they put it on there really tight or with thread locker you may to. You may be able to put a pmag in the magwell and essentially have someone kneel on the rifle and turn the wrench to get the muzzle brake off. A vise is the correct route, but for most moderately torqued muzzle devices you can likely rig it and make it work.

The KVP linear comp doesn't need a crush washer or clocking so you just torque it to the shoulder of the barrel and you're good to go.

Thanks Joe,
Since I first looked at the Archon I have seen the KVP that you sell and if I decide to get a compensator it will be from you. I have purchased stuff from you in the past.

I have the KVP linear compensators on a few different rifles. I'm a big fan of them, too. The last couple I ordered were from Joebob - shipping was surprisingly fast.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersWe've sold a boatload of KVP Linear Comps.

As stated, they will direct noise forward. They don't make the rifle quieter, but do make it quieter sounding at your ear. They work well for hunting without ears to give a little less ringing.

You'll need a wrench to remove your existing muzzle brake and most likely will not need a vice, but if they put it on there really tight or with thread locker you may to. You may be able to put a pmag in the magwell and essentially have someone kneel on the rifle and turn the wrench to get the muzzle brake off. A vise is the correct route, but for most moderately torqued muzzle devices you can likely rig it and make it work.

The KVP linear comp doesn't need a crush washer or clocking so you just torque it to the shoulder of the barrel and you're good to go.

Ah no............really ? A reaction bar is the only way to tighten or loosen anything to do with a barrel. A pmag ?

Well that's a good way to sell pmags.. I only use reaction rods when I do any barrel change or muzzle device swap. They are worth every penny you pay for them. If you follow JoeBobs advice, do not use that magazine for shooting again, just order a new mag from their website... Even the magwell vice block's are better than that option. Remember you are putting twisting torque both upper and lower aluminium receivers. Not a good idea with a tight muzzle device. Get the proper tools.

I use a JAL linear device on a 6.8 hunting rig. I feel there's more felt recoil than the 6.8 PRI Quiet Control on my other rifle, but it's much quieter. I like it tremendously, and they are vital if you are shooting from a ground blind.

SHM

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersWe've sold a boatload of KVP Linear Comps.

Ah no............really ? A reaction bar is the only way to tighten or loosen anything to do with a barrel. A pmag ?

Nobody said it was a good idea...I just said you may be able to do it, haha! Some muzzle devices are barely torqued from the factory so many will come off easily. For those without a vice, you can maybe break the muzzle device loose without a vice. Agreed, we use several variations of vise blocks, reaction rods, picatinny clamps, etc depending on what type of assembly we are doing.

Quieter than a brake. But that's a bit like saying you don't get as wet standing in the rain compared to falling in a lake.

Nowhere close to hearing safe for either the shooter or persons around him.

I ran one on my .223, change in recoil was barely perceptible and just as likey caused by placebo. Poi was similar either on or off.

I got a NOVESKE KX3. It has a hog with flames out it mouth on an C39v2 Zhukov.
I think I got it at Joe/Bob's. I like it a lot.

Back