Google Earth

claimbuster

I don’t recalll when or from whom, but was once told that prairie dog towns can be spotted in Google Earth. If it’s possible, I sure can’t see anything. Of course I do wonder if somebody wasn’t just jerking my chain. BTW, this is a question.

Last edited:
Yes you can find PD towns on Google Earth. You have to zoom in quite a bit. Kind of like looking through a scope at high mag. It takes some time but can be done. I do it all the time. You can also find them on the plain Google maps using satellite view.

On X maps have a prairie dog overlay map. You might want to check with them to see if there is one for your state.

Yes, it's possible. I would say to get used to it first zoom in on a PD town that you know the location of then you'll know what to look for. It usually seems like I have to zoom in all the way or one level before that to ID dog towns.

The On X doesn't have a PD overlay for ND but it does for some other states. I would also search the state game and fish and they'll probably have a PD distribution map and that will give you a idea of where to start looking.

I use google earth to find new towns around the areas I shoot all the time, it's very useful and very convenient. Cheap on the gas bill!!

Have not bothered to look for a prairie dog in well over a decade, but that was about the only use I ever really had for GE was finding dog towns. That was fifteen years ago though. And it was easy then. Have to think it has only gotten easier since then?

- DAA

http://maps.greenwoodmap.com/johnson/map#zcr=9/1493475/1663040/0&lyrs=a17,statefed,ownership,roads,placenames

Click or Paste that address. Thay's an active prairie dog town from satalite. Just like Google Earth
I couldn't get a snap shot picture to come up.

Originally Posted By: nd_riceThe On X doesn't have a PD overlay for ND but it does for some other states. I would also search the state game and fish and they'll probably have a PD distribution map and that will give you a idea of where to start looking. It is actually illegal for any map in ND to list the specific location of an animal. I know this because I was going to put Prairie Dog town locations on the GPS TRAX maps for ND and was told by ND Game and Fish, no way. Population density would be allowed but not actual locations.

We just got back from a dogging trip out west. One of my main tools with research was google earth. Yes, when zoomed you can see circles without vegetation around the holes. I correlated with older prairie dog colony maps then looked at land ownership. I got us thick into dogs that may not if been shot at all this year. That is judging by activity, and lack of recent vehicle traffic with any roads.

One we walked in about two miles, no closer access. We found doggy nirvana, the son used up all his ammo. Of course traveling light, shooting sticks and a bipod were used, no tables or elaborate rests.

Google earth gets updated periodically, not sure how often that is.

Back