1 DRT and a Thunderstorm at 8200' elevation

Seebass

Sierra Nevada Mountains...

I got off work early on Friday, packed up my truck and headed up the hill. I was on my way by 230pm.

I got to my parking spot and got my gear squared away and ready to hunt. I made 3 blank stands on Friday night. I saved my good spots for Saturday morning. 

Untitled by seebass7400, on Flickr

I woke up around 5am. It was a tad chilly but nothing terrible. I think it was 35 degrees out.

I got setup on my first stand. My usual sage brush field that has produced like 5 outta the last 6 years. I start with Vole Squeaks for a minute just to see if anything was close. I switch to Prairie Dog Distress and at 2:30 seconds I have a coyote coming my way 400 yards out. It’s slowly circling down wind as it approaches. At about 200 yards it turns and starts coming straight at me! I let it get to about 125 yards before barking it to a stop. All I could see was it’s head because the sage was pretty high. I took the shot and missed. As it was running away I took another shot but missed again.

I was really upset with myself! I couldn’t believe I missed such an easy chip shot! With my head low I gathered my gear and headed back to the truck to make my way to my second stand.

I got setup facing another big open sage valley. I went through my sequences with no takers. Still kicking myself for missing on the first stand I finished with a fight sequence that I play at the end of every stand. At 20 minutes I have a female coming in HARD!! I catch a glimpse at 400 yards but had to wait to turn on her. At 200 yards she dipped into a ravine so I made my turn.

(ABOVE 2 PICS ARE A PANORAMIC)

She popped up at 100 yards and I howled at her. She stopped at about 70 yards looking straight at me. Dropped her with a center chest DRT.

I was able to make 3 more stands before a thunderhead opened up. After a couple of lightning bolts my day up top was over!

I was a bit disappointed but I wasn’t going to hangout in the rain. No matter how short. I decided to head down the hill and check out some other areas to call another time.

Unfortunately ALL of the roads I wanted to go up were closed! Understandable because it was still pretty boggy in places. I cruised around for a little bit and was still able to find some promising looking ground to call in the future.

I was home on Saturday at 7pm. I’ll try again in a month or so. Hopefully more roads will be open by then.

Carlos

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Pretty country for sure, the female looked tall and thin, was she wet from nursing pups. I think most of them around here are pregnant or have pups in the den. Wondering if the cycle is on the same schedule in high mountains of California?

Thanks for sharing your outing with us, Carlos. That's some beautiful country you hunt.

Regards,
hm

Back