checkering on a boyds?

ohihunter2014

Is the checkering on a Boyds worth $55? Placing an order this weekend and saving a little cash on it already so thought about getting some sort of checkering but not sure. I've seen and felt some terrible checkering that was like pressed in i wouldn't pay $5 for.

Also, stippling, scale or checkering?

If you buy a Mossberg Patriot That is what you get. It is laser burned.
I like the smooth stock. I use some cloth camo tape on the pistol grip and forearm.
It grips good in my hand, does not slip.
The Varmint stocks are great. I just bought a Prairie Hunter. I like the forearm.
I got the angled tip and grip cap in pepper for $199.78 for a CZ 527.
PM me and I will send you some pictures. I got varmints, a thumbholes and prairie Hunter

I think Repete has a few with checkering. They look pretty dang good. I think its worth the extra if you have the extra.

I have some with and without from Boyd’s, more often than not, I order WITH stippling. The smooth stocks are fine, but can be slick, especially in the 90 degree/high gloss finish, and especially if your hands start sweating.

Personally, I like the stippling out of their line up. I feel it best matches the means of “carving,” as laser engraving the scale or checkering isn’t the best means of carving. Stippling is best done by burning, to surface harden the stippled wood.

So i read elsewhere the checkering, etc isn't really good unless you get the platinum or heritage stocks so it wraps all the way around. I also read elsewhere these stocks compared to their counter part have more of a round forend and not conducive to using a front rest. Any truth to this? I saved some cash back money from a cash back credit card so i should be saving about 20% on the stock so the extra $ is there but i didn't want to spend it if it wasn't worth it.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanBoyd's checkering is a great addition to a beautiful stock, you will NOT regret spending the money!

+1

Their lazer checkering is every bit as sharp as hand cut checkering.
It was only $40 when I bought my classic but after seeing how well executed it is I'd gladly pay for the upgrade again.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think Repete has a few with checkering. They look pretty dang good. I think its worth the extra if you have the extra.

I only have one. I'd post a pic but photobastards stole my good pix of itand I haven't gotten around to taking another.

Alright alright.....ya shamed me into it.

mUZimjTl.jpg

Fvactq9l.jpg

Z0YolUal.jpg

Last edited:
I have a really nice walnut stock from Boyd's on my Mauser. I wonder if I could send it back to have it checkered? I'd gladly pay the $55. for a nice checkering job.

That laser checkering looks nice for $55.

My Last stock was just to get rid the plastic stock on my CZ 527.
I set them a picture and they set me back this.

kL8QN2c.jpg

Originally Posted By: willy1947

kL8QN2c.jpg

you sent them one picture and they sent you back two pictures.

boyds rocks.
thumbup1.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI sent Boyd's an email. They said they couldn't checker my stock. Oh well.

Maybe next time.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: willy1947

kL8QN2c.jpg

boyds rocks.
thumbup1.gif

lol.gif

I sent them this picture
w6Pk56Z.jpg

And they sent me this one back.

kL8QN2c.jpg

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: willy1947

kL8QN2c.jpg

boyds rocks.
thumbup1.gif

lol.gif

I sent them this picture
w6Pk56Z.jpg

And they sent me this one back.

kL8QN2c.jpg

Im lost too. So they pretty much justed used your pic for their marketing?

Sure you can. Click on the stock you want. A line of options show up and hit the arrow until checkering show. Click on it and it shows all the patterns.

Back