Valkyrie Alternative

vetman1

I have read a good bit on the Valkyrie and it looks really interesting. Factory brass and ammunition are a plus. The light recoil would be very nice for my young son who is pretty small for his age of 11. The ballistics show a pretty flat shooting cartridge.

The cons I have read are problems with accuracy. I almost think you need a certain twist rate for heavier bullets and a different twist rate for lighter bullets. That just seems insane.

Is there a different caliber in the AR15 that is pretty flat shooting for coyotes out to 300 yards, lighter recoil, with enough knockdown power that you do not have runners?

I have a 6.5 Grendel and though my son can shoot it, lighter recoil would be nice. We also hunt hogs at the same time we coyote hunt. A caliber that would cover both hog and coyote hunting would be nice as well. Finally, we hunt with thermal and exclusively with suppressors at night

25x45 Sharps. Necked up .223 case to .257. 70-75 gr bullets for coyotes and 85-90 gr for hogs and deer. Low recoil, pretty flat shooter. JMO

Last edited:
Not sure how recoil from a 6x6.8 compares to a Grendel, but it isn't much recoil and is definitely flat shooting with knockdown.

To get less recoil, I'm guessing you will have to trade knockdown or trajectory.

Nosler is coming out with a 70 grain accubond load for the 22 nosler. That will probably be as good a factory hog load as you are going to find in the smaller caliber ar rounds. 22 Nosler recoil should be managable for a youngster especially if you are suppressing it. Do they make any 20 caliber bonded core bullets?

The 204 Ruger would be pretty light weight for hogs?

The 6x45, is it much more than a hot loaded .556?

The 6x6,8 seems to run pretty good ballistics with also the ability to load for hogs and deer. How much does the average round cost to handload?

Is there anyway to make Nosler 22 brass or is it a proprietary case?

If you are gonna be suppressed I would look at 6x45 or 6x6.8. You need the bigger bore to get the velocity with a short barrel. None of these cartridges are any more expensive to load than .223 if you watch for a sale on brass and bullets. A set of dies and 6 or so more grains of powder is the price difference. So many bullets options in 6mm as well. If you were only shooting coyotes I would say go 22 Nosler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vetman1The 204 Ruger would be pretty light weight for hogs?

The 6x6,8 seems to run pretty good ballistics with also the ability to load for hogs and deer. How much does the average round cost to handload?

A 204 would be on the challenging end for killing hogs on some shots.

The cost of s 6X6.8 to load is maybe $0.04 more than a 223. Some brass id very cheap now.

The Nosler can't be made from anything else but Hornady just said they are going to produce it akso. That being said we can make brass from the 6MM HAGAR to fit the chamber and have far superior cases. We call it the NOSCAR. I am talking with Starline and they are considering doing the brass so it will be a direct buy and load operation.

Greg

Originally Posted By: vetman1The 204 Ruger would be pretty light weight for hogs?
Bullets matter way more than headstamps!

A 6X45 is the 5.56 case (223 Rem) necked up to accept 6mm projectiles. They will work with 80+ class bullets very well...same can not be said for standard AR platforms in a 223 Rem.

This is a great cartridge. Easy to get/make brass and great ballistics. The only rub on it is non-standard AR mags.

This one, I feel, is a flash in the pan. Proprietary that offers very little advantage for the investment.

Not much investment inolved in running 55s at 3500 in a 22" ar15 with the 22 Nosler. Dies, brass, barrel and a few mags. All the bad brass life crap you hear is bs. If you hunt with it you will loose the brass before it becomes unloadable. Rifle +2 gas system is the way to go with a longer barrel. Over 55 or 60 grain I still would go 6mm.

Last edited:
22 Nosler definitely gets my vote! Extremely flat shooting, an absolute death ray on coyotes. As far as recoil goes......a longer than rifle length gas system, properly tuned, with the right buffer and spring, and it's about like shooting a Ruger 10/22. Have seen several guys taking hogs with them also. However, 6mm stuff will always be a better option for hogs.

I have a .22 Nosler and have shot the .25-45 Sharps. I would have to go with the Sharps for what you are wanting to do. If you don't reload, there is a 70 grain Blitzking option, as well as the 87 grain Hot-Cor option. There is also a 100 grain "Swine Smasher" load now as well.

It does not really kick at all and is literally a barrel swap (though using their bolt for headspace is always a good idea).

Don't get me wrong, the .22 Nosler is a GREAT round with some good options, but the Sharps is as well with less worry about magazines and has a good selection of factory rounds.

Not trying to be harsh, but if you cant do a coyote under 300 with a basic 223 and a decent scope, a larger caliber is not going to help. The basic 223 can do most anything under 600yards

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Not trying to be harsh but you are full of it! [beeep], im still trying to figure out why i would need a 25-06....my 250 Savage is still dropping mule deer in their tracks, but years ago, everyone said....oh, u cant kill mule deer with out a 25-06....

And now youre telling me u need bigger than a 223 to do a coyote at 300 yards and under....now come on

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456 And now youre telling me u need bigger than a 223 to do a coyote at 300 yards and under....now come on

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456 The basic 223 can do most anything under 600yards

you need to make up your mind what you want to say.

if you really mean 600 yards, i would tend to agree with varminter.223

popcorn still available. may soon be adding hip boots and shovels to the line up. stay tuned.

Back