Idaho Whistle Pigs

Originally Posted By: Al HansenBeing from Utah I also thought Rock Chucks were Whistle Pigs. So some guys at work talked me into a long drive to hunt Whistle Pigs in the Boise area. Got out of town at 4 Am and drove all the way to Boise. Discovered their Whistle Pig is a tiny little ground squirrel on crack ! I was way over gunned with a .204 and .223. LOL. You better be quick on the trigger. LOL. A Ruger 10/22 is the preferred weapon.

LOL, yeah a bit much with the 204 and 223. You could easily overcook a barrel. My favorite for them is the 17 hornet vmax.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusOriginally Posted By: Al HansenBeing from Utah I also thought Rock Chucks were Whistle Pigs. So some guys at work talked me into a long drive to hunt Whistle Pigs in the Boise area. Got out of town at 4 Am and drove all the way to Boise. Discovered their Whistle Pig is a tiny little ground squirrel on crack ! I was way over gunned with a .204 and .223. LOL. You better be quick on the trigger. LOL. A Ruger 10/22 is the preferred weapon.

LOL, yeah a bit much with the 204 and 223. You could easily overcook a barrel. My favorite for them is the 17 hornet vmax.

I second that. Had I known what kind of launch was possible on ground squirrels with the tiny .17 Hornet and the 20 grain Vmax I would have bought me one when they first came out.

Makes me chuckle that my previous favorite .221 Fireball now seems way more gun than necessary for the sage rats.

[/quote]I was way over gunned with a .204 and .223. LOL. You better be quick on the trigger. LOL. A Ruger 10/22 is the preferred weapon. [/quote]

I prefer my Savage .17 Winchester Super Mag. It does quite a number on those squirrels and can reach out and touch some of those that are out of reach with the .22
That 20 grain bullet at 3000 fps is a fun little round.

Last edited:
I just spent 2 days shooting some of Tim Titus's sage rats, man thats the most fun I ever had shooting! They sure dumb little buggers. Shot just under 1000 rounds in 2 days. I wish it wasn't so far from home.
James

Back