Help - looking for .223 bulk ammo for best price?

Pa Teeny

Hey guys looking to buy good .223 ammo for plinking and prairie dog hunting....

what is good-- bad ---and the Ugly of some cheap ammo stories....Thanks

In the past I've found that I have better luck finding an inexpensive ammo, shooting a box to see how accurate it performed in my particular AR and then, if I found a good one, buying as much as I could afford...

An example, several years ago when I was shooting a lot of 3 gun competitions and Prairie dogs, I stumbled on some Federal 50gr HPs that shot really good in the Colt AR with a 1/9 twist barrel that was being sold through WalMart in 200 round bulk packs...I bought 1000 rounds and still have a box or two in my storage. For some reason it failed in the accuracy dept in similar rifle with the same barrel length and twist rate. It still shot well but not to my needs for competition work..One of the primary reasons I started reloading..That allowed me to tailor the ammo to the individual rifle...

May not be the cheapest, but American Eagle tipped 50 grainers shoot really well from my AR. They can be bought bulk from several vendors.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleIn the past I've found that I have better luck finding an inexpensive ammo, shooting a box to see how accurate it performed in my particular AR and then, if I found a good one, buying as much as I could afford...

An example, several years ago when I was shooting a lot of 3 gun competitions and Prairie dogs, I stumbled on some Federal 50gr HPs that shot really good in the Colt AR with a 1/9 twist barrel that was being sold through WalMart in 200 round bulk packs...I bought 1000 rounds and still have a box or two in my storage. For some reason it failed in the accuracy dept in similar rifle with the same barrel length and twist rate. It still shot well but not to my needs for competition work..One of the primary reasons I started reloading..That allowed me to tailor the ammo to the individual rifle...

I remember that ammo. It did quite the job on prairie dogs and rabbits. I used to buy it for about $50 then it went way up when everything else did. I haven't seen it in quite a while. I believe it was loaded with the Speer TNT bullet.

I saw some ammo at Walmart on clearance the other day, 22-250 and a few others. They were also down to $9 on the 50 round packs of 17 HMR ammo.

I didn’t buy any since I reload and have enough. For general mail order I like SGammo on the net, ammoseek is another source to compare.

Back