do you worry about coyote stink ?

IndexFinger

( Cover wear ) .. I always wear the same baggy oversize dark camo jacket and pants, over lightweight pants and shirts going out calling and shooting at Night .
Going out several times calling and shooting, you shooting a few coyotes and drag-out and throw in the bed of truck, then handling again when throwing them out . I do pickup that shot coyote stink .

I recently did, rinsed out and threw cover-wear outside on the back covered patio . But it seems like that odor is hard to completely remove by water rise and airing out . I pulled the clothes off the back room floor and I noticed after putting on my baggy hunting cover pants . i get that subtle odor of old pissy wet coyote on my outer cover wear .

Night hunting I do call-in and shoot coyotes wearing the same muddy coyote stink cover clothes.. But curious of others thoughts and habits on it are ?.
but maybe ?? , I would get more coming in for a bullet if I took it more seriously on the coyote stink . Do you wash-out and take the stink more serious on your night hunts ?
Is .. a subtle pissy wet shot coyote odor, possibly a good cover smell ? . Or are you doing yourself a disservice, for scent control on getting winded at night ? .

If anything I would think it would help. Coyotes are used to smelling other coyotes. I try not to let them get downwind to smell clean or dirty clothes. There's not much you can do to beat a coyotes nose.

I usually wash my hunting clothes in Borax and call it good. If they get down wind they'll smell through anything and pick out a human odor.

I dull it out a little using the scent killer wash but having it cant hurt throughout the night. Specially if using howl I like it as they are coming in looking for a coyote they'll be able to smell it but not see it. I've been know to bring coyote or fox piss and sprinkle some around. Its helped a few times I believe as my last 2 coyotes were both shot directly down wind.

I don't know if it helps or hurts but I wash my clothes with scent free soap as I don't like to stink. I had a buddy that would spray himself down with fox piss before going hunting, he didn't kill any more than the rest of us but he swore by it.

Pretty simple, if you like the stink don't wash them, if you like clean clothes wash them in something real unique like maybe TIDE. It really doesn't seem to matter.

I figured out last night why my cover pants always smell like the assStink of a coyote . I noticed I have a habit of wiping my hands on my pants 'a lot' when dragging-out and handling .

Went out and used some coon pup and coon fight on the foxpro, then for a mix, in the middle of foxpro , threw in hand-call of a few coyote pup yips ans squeals with the open reed .
1st one to run in so he got it .
-
L3YwzHN.jpg

-

I did end-up washing the stink out of my cover camo clothes . used about 1/4 box of backing soda (sodium bicarbonate) with water in the washmachine . tumble dried on low and let airout, and they came out with no scent/smell of anything . Now..I don't feel so 'dirty'.
-
Was about 01:30 and had a couple large packs just light-up in the area, along with every farm dog in the area also . both packs were within about 1/2 mile radius of me . I used the same sounds on this area . some coon chatter and coon fight with throwing in a few coyote yip and squeal with the open-reed, then just wait and search/scan . No moon dark, and was No wind and pretty quiet so only took about med. volume on the foxpro . about 20 minutes latter, caught some hot spots running-in from far end of a field 3-4 hundred yards off .
Had 3 males run-in together fast last night with there noses to the ground sniffing and searching for scent . had one stay behind for his picture .

it is surprising just how really good they can seek-out sounds from distances, and they had my call area dialed and vectored in to about 100 ft. area with there ears and brain .

double-tapping with the 87 tnt's was a little messy .
--
GxXAcAo.jpg

-
-

Last edited:
Hahaha I’m always wiping stuff on my legs but the worst was coyote pee/blood combo on my snow pants. That got my truck smelling pretty rank with the heater blowing on them on the drive home

Has anyone noticed that the coyotes at night are more careless?

I’ve had on several occasion dogs run in very sloppy like whiland hunting at night when I felt they should have busted me. One time [beeep] dog came up behind, brushing up on my friend who was shooter while I was standing and calling (again - sloppy set at night) , stop 10 feet from my buddy while I’m on verge of hitting him to shoot the [beeep] dog.

We dropped him, but this is one of a few occasions I’ve seen the dogs be more fearless and/or careless at night.

Back