Pulsar PiP problem

Kevinfarmer3456

While shooting Apex xq38 today, I noticed my crosshair on the bottom picture does not match the crosshairs On the the top picture in picture. When u line up the crosshairs in the small picture in picture window the lower crosshairs at the bottom of the screen are aimed slightly high has anyone else noticed this.

When I shoot at the Target using the lower set of crosshairs it's dead on when I use the upper set of crosshairs in the small picture window it shooting about 2 and 1/2 inches high.

Last edited:
Mine appears to do about the same thing. Except it is about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. I was told from the place I bought it that should not happen. I hunted with it fine and haven't gotten the time with the short spring to really look into it. I need to put it in a vise or something rock solid and line up the cross hairs and then turn on the PIP to see exactly what it's doing. They have a 3 year warranty, so this summer would be a good time to look into it.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Mine appears to do about the same thing. Except it is about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. I was told from the place I bought it that should not happen. I hunted with it fine and haven't gotten the time with the short spring to really look into it. I need to put it in a vise or something rock solid and line up the cross hairs and then turn on the PIP to see exactly what it's doing. They have a 3 year warranty, so this summer would be a good time to look into it. i agree. Last night i had problems getting the unit to turn on a couple times. I had to pull the batteries for a little bit and put them back in and then it would finally start up. Not really sure what's going on.

I did have mine in a really solid rest when I was shooting it and you can definitely tell that the crosshairs are off in the picture in picture mode

And the problems continue. Hopefully it will all get worked out soon. I know that any product can have problems but seems that high dollar equipment that has been so heavily advertised should not have issues like this. I had a burning desire for a thermal rifle scope not long ago, but I keep getting talked out of it by the issues that seem to keep popping up.

Yea, but its a process. Thruthfully thermal is a new technology as far as hunting scopes go. So its just going to take time for companies to weed thru the problems. If the price of the unit is of a concern accompained by the problems they are plagued with, its probably best to not purchase one. But if you plan to wait until they completely get every bugged worked out youll probably never get one.

Even a Rolls Royce will have a flat tire and break downs occasionally. Just the nature ofthe beast when it comes to thermal scopes.

Kevin, is there a solution you can do to the PIP not matching the base, or will you have to send it to Pulsar?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Kevin, is there a solution you can do to the PIP not matching the base, or will you have to send it to Pulsar? im waiting on a call back from sellmark about that. The secretary I spoke to wasn't really sure what to do. She's supposed to have someone from the tech department contact me tomorrow

Last edited:
6mm06, I want to be clear that my apex has worked flawlessly and never had any of the POI shifts the trails had. It is a great bare bones thermal if you are looking for one. This is a minor issue, but yes I do expect very high quality when spending that kind of money and am confident pulsar will take care of it.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter766mm06, I want to be clear that my apex has worked flawlessly and never had any of the POI shifts the trails had. It is a great bare bones thermal if you are looking for one. This is a minor issue, but yes I do expect very high quality when spending that kind of money and am confident pulsar will take care of it. I completely agree and as matter of fact the fact that the small picture in picture window causes me to shoot about two and a half inches high really is not that big of a deal on longer shots when I use it anyways it actually helps compensate for bullet-drop almost like a ballistics reticle. And The View Clarity and resolution through this Apex unit is absolutely stunning for the price no other unit can compare to it for the price point

Hey guys what are you aiming at when you notice this and what distance? I am going to check mine this weekend.

Opps..I see this is on an Apex...I have a trail.

Last edited:
It is an apex XQ38. It works great for the areas I hunt. The XQ50 would have been nice also, but I went for the field of view instead. I can still kill coyotes out to 250 yards with it. Granted, if I thought I needed to shoot that far more often I would want the 50. I would say 75 % of my shots are inside of 150 yards. Which is where the field of view really comes into play.
My targets are 4 1x1 inch reflective target squares to make 1 2x2 inch square. It makes a nice fine edge target for the thermal scope.

Not the greatest picture, but I took this while the scope was mounted to a tripod dismounted from the gun and I held my phone up behind it. The target is the head of a half inch Bolt heated with a torch, the distance is 44 yards.
I submitted these photos to pulsar and they didn't think it was off that bad, so I told him I would get some better pictures at a longer distance that shows that it's off quite a bit more.
2806om1.jpg

Try using a 2 inch square piece of tin foil. A really hot object (like that bolt) is going to give off that "glow". I think you need finer edges to show your point.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Try using a 2 inch square piece of tin foil. A really hot object (like that bolt) is going to give off that "glow". I think you need finer edges to show your point. I agree with you but this is what Pulsar told me to do and that's the pictures they wanted submitted was of a metal object heated up with the torch. I'm going to take some more pictures in the next couple days for them he originally wanted me to heat you up the tip of a screwdriver. But I thought that was way too small

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456
I submitted these photos to pulsar and they didn't think it was off that bad.

Seems to me that it shouldn't be off any at all. Pulsar needs to accept the idea that being off any at all is unacceptable. The greater the shooting distance, the greater POI will be affected.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456
I submitted these photos to pulsar and they didn't think it was off that bad.

Seems to me that it shouldn't be off any at all. Pulsar needs to accept the idea that being off any at all is unacceptable. The greater the shooting distance, the greater POI will be affected.

i agree, I'm still doing some testing and trying to get better pics and proof. Yesterday i played with it some and oddly it didn't change or get greater at 100 yards, but in my defense, i was just holding the gun on sand bags. Hopefully, this weekend ill get to get better pics

Originally Posted By: DeereguyWhy are you talking pics through the lens? Doesn't it show up in the video?
Or snap a picture, it will look better than trying to do it through the phone. If you don't want to bump the scope by accident by pressing a button, use the remote control if the Apex comes with one. I know the Trails do.

Originally Posted By: DeereguyWhy are you talking pics through the lens? Doesn't it show up in the video? the apex models do not have the ability to record alone you have to have a DVR which I don't have

Back