I sure was wrong...

^^^^ This board needs a Like button
smile.gif

- DAA

I've been trying to decide on a trigger and there are so many available it's a tough choice. I did see Geissele came out with a single stage. I'm not sold on a double stage since I'm used to Timneys in my bolt guns.

I used to feel the same way as well. Only bolt guns. Now I have 3 Ar's. 223, 6.5 Grendel,and 300 Blackout. All of them shoot sub MOA. The 6.5 Grendel is now my main hunting rifle. Made a believer out of me. So much fun to build and tinker with them.
Very satisfying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mullyI've been trying to decide on a trigger and there are so many available it's a tough choice. I did see Geissele came out with a single stage. I'm not sold on a double stage since I'm used to Timneys in my bolt guns.

On mine I took the factory group and stoned it, polished it, put a 3.5 lb JP Enterprises spring kit in it, and bobbed the hammer. It isn't a $250 match trigger, but it is not bad at all. I have pretty decent triggers (mainly Timneys) in all my bolt guns, and shooting this AR I don't really notice the trigger one way or the other as I am shooting it. For sure it does not feel like the standard 6.5-7 lb creepy mil spec trigger. Most folks that I let feel it think it is a pretty good trigger for an AR.

Would a $$$ trigger be better? Sure it would. But for $12 worth of springs, in a rifle that is mainly going to be banging pigs at 100 yards and closer it is just fine.

So far I have put several hundred rounds through this rifle and have not had a single hiccup of any kind.

HaHa Steve Garrett, I get it. I've got a feeling me and you are talking the exact same language. Planting season is coming up here pretty quick. Time to thin the herds, or at least help move them on down the road for a while.

There’s something about boltaction rifles that makes my eyes glow but you’re absolutely right... AR15s are so much fun to shoot. When target shooting I can’t seem to stop pulling the trigger. Only downside is I always seem to need to hit the reloading bench after a shooting.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXOriginally Posted By: mullyI've been trying to decide on a trigger and there are so many available it's a tough choice. I did see Geissele came out with a single stage. I'm not sold on a double stage since I'm used to Timneys in my bolt guns.

On mine I took the factory group and stoned it, polished it, put a 3.5 lb JP Enterprises spring kit in it, and bobbed the hammer. It isn't a $250 match trigger, but it is not bad at all. I have pretty decent triggers (mainly Timneys) in all my bolt guns, and shooting this AR I don't really notice the trigger one way or the other as I am shooting it. For sure it does not feel like the standard 6.5-7 lb creepy mil spec trigger. Most folks that I let feel it think it is a pretty good trigger for an AR.

Would a $$$ trigger be better? Sure it would. But for $12 worth of springs, in a rifle that is mainly going to be banging pigs at 100 yards and closer it is just fine.

So far I have put several hundred rounds through this rifle and have not had a single hiccup of any kind.

I use this with the yellow JP springs and a polish job. I can get 3# measured with little take up pretty easy.
https://rouschsports.com/shop/uncategorized/ar15-grip-screw-trigger-creep-adjuster/

Well, I just couldn't get comfortable with the red dot. So I took a little Burris Fullfield II, 2-7x35 with BDC reticle I had laying around, and mounted it up using an Aero Ultra-lightweight mount. I like it much better this way. Zeroed up really nice and easy.

Took it out Sat night for a really quick shakedown run while my daughter was at the movies with a friend. Smoked these hogs on the run. Really impressed with that 65 SGK, it hits hard and digs deep. Didn't get a complete pass through on that big sow, but it did break the off-side shoulder before it stopped.

I like this little rifle better and better every time I shoot it. It's gonna be exactly what I was wanting. I need to go pop some coyotes with it soon too.

FullSizeR by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

That looks like it's working out pretty good
smile.gif

Going to stick with the 65 SGK for coyote?

- DAA

I can dig that.

Think I'm going to have to run two loads in mine though, don't really like to, but... I have a bunch of stuff on the shelf I want to use up, none of which do I think would be any good for coyote (Vmax, TNT). Great for bunnies and squirrels and such, but not coyote.

So I'll likely end up with a load just for coyote. My RRA is shooting pretty well with 60's, both B-tip and Vmaz, so I'm currently planning on seeing how the 60 B-tip works on coyote. I've always like 55 SGK's on coyote though, and had not really even thought about the 65's. Bet the 65 got noooooo trouble busting through a near side shoulder or wrecking a hip joint. Exits don't bother me, long as some decent expansion happens on the way through and I bet they do that, too. I have a big bunch of 748 been mostly sitting here for 20 years, too. Might have to see how they shoot in mine.

- DAA

Dave, the 60 gr. vmax has done very well in my AR over the years for coyotes. It anchors them very well with decent shot placement and minimal pelt damage. If you try them I don't think you would be disappointed! I run mine right at 2900 fps.

I can understand on having lots of bullets to shoot up. I have quite a bit of various lightweight stuff, but I am letting my daughter shoot it all up in her CZ shooting jacks. This AR I just want one load, all the time. I would make a fairly safe (in my mind) wager that 60 NBT is going to penetrate plenty good, and would probably do a pretty dang decent job even on pigs.

I still have 4-5 lbs of the 748 to go through, I figure this AR is a good place for that since it meters so well and it is going to be a high volume shooter. Just throw charges on the Redding 3BR and be done. Once the 748 is gone then I will decide where to go from there.

That 65 Sierra seems like it opens fairly quick, yet holds together good enough to go ahead and dig deep. That smaller pig I shot about an inch below the ear hole and it blew a good transverse hole all the way through it's head. Maybe 1.25"-1.5" exit hole. I really want to shoot some coyotes and see how it does on them too. Not that I am concerned at all, no doubt it will knock them down good. But inquiring minds want to know.

Originally Posted By: DAAI can dig that.

Think I'm going to have to run two loads in mine though, don't really like to, but... I have a bunch of stuff on the shelf I want to use up, none of which do I think would be any good for coyote (Vmax, TNT). Great for bunnies and squirrels and such, but not coyote.

So I'll likely end up with a load just for coyote. My RRA is shooting pretty well with 60's, both B-tip and Vmaz, so I'm currently planning on seeing how the 60 B-tip works on coyote. I've always like 55 SGK's on coyote though, and had not really even thought about the 65's. Bet the 65 got noooooo trouble busting through a near side shoulder or wrecking a hip joint. Exits don't bother me, long as some decent expansion happens on the way through and I bet they do that, too. I have a big bunch of 748 been mostly sitting here for 20 years, too. Might have to see how they shoot in mine.

- DAA

I shot the sierra 1330 for one season, which is the 50 grain version of the 1365. I thought the bullets were too hard for coyotes and my finishing shots needed I thought were greater than what I get with the 50 BK. I also don't like the banged up lead tips from the violence of AR 15 loading and potentially a lot of unloading then loading that same shell again in a calling scenerio.

that chunk of copper in the back of the btip is going to punch the shoulder, maybe that is where I should start to aim. its always been a slightly tuffer shot to make.

vmax's on coyotes you will not find me shooting the. the first AR year I used the 53 grain superformance, vmax I got splashes on facing chest shots.

the various plastic tip bullet makers put these bullets together very differently across the brands. vmax=the thinnest jacket of them all, no copper in the back to penetrate. I think the btip is the best overall coyote killer of the plastic tips at AR 15 speeds.

Dave,
I know they're not your reloads but I have a box of 50 60 gr vmax with your name on them next time we have sushi

I think a lot of guys would love them if they spent some time behind one. I started with a Model 1 Kit years ago and now have a couple custom builds and have helped several buddies put together some. It's such a fun platform and the sky is the limit as far as customization. Glad you came over to the dark side Dave!

Back