My best morning turkey hunting

weekender

I have been turkey hunting since 1987 and I just had my best morning ever. My wife had tagged out and agreed to "loan" me her food plot. I was in a make shift brush blind just as the first hints of light started to appear. The turkeys were already gobbling on the roost across a large creek on the neighbors land. They gobbled at me, at crows, at geese and hawks. I estimated I heard at least 500 gobbles by 10:45 a.m. when a "herd" of red heads flew the creek and headed my way. There were 7 jakes and 3 long beards. The first long beard was flanked by a jake as he came across the plot. I would have probably killed the jake too as their heads were side by side. One of the jakes picked me off and putted and turkeys scattered everywhere. This tom stopped at 54 yds, head held high at least for a couple seconds. My 3" #6 heavy shot laid him out for my longest ever shot on a turk.

10" beard, 1" spurs, only weighed 15 3/4 lb. Must have been a runt.
It was raining and I can do better on pics, sorry!

pAcQiz9.jpg

81vFyhC.jpg

OQ2LOhV.jpg

Congrats! I killed one about that far once, accidentally. I misjudged the yardage on a foggy morning at first light. At the shot he dropped like a sack of hammers and when I got up and walked to get him about the time I thought I should be there I needed several extra steps. I thought he was about 45 yards... I stepped it off about 52 yards.

Back