Ghost Town Tour

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
This was a couple weeks ago, just now having time to post the pictures.

It's the ghost town tour I do every year around this time. Get a bunch of folks and cover 300 miles of dirt in two days, showing them around ghost towns and old mines and stuff. Always have a good mix of extremely experienced offroad travelers and complete noobs and it's a great chance for the noobs to learn. We always have full families along too with wives and kids. This year, we had a 3 year old boy along that fell in love with my Jeep and so he and I had a blast
smile.gif

Just a raw picture dump here, basically. But if you want to know more details, you can read a detailed trip report from a previous Ghost Town Tour on my blog.

Anyhoo... Know a lot of you enjoy this kind of stuff same as I do, so, here's the picture dump...

20180413_GTT-10W.jpg

20180413_GTT-12-EditW.jpg

20180413_GTT-13W.jpg

20180413_GTT-14W.jpg

20180413_GTT-18W.jpg

20180413_GTT-27W.jpg

20180413_GTT-33W.jpg

- DAA

Great pics. and an interesting blog. I was stationed near Tooela back in the 1960's and did some hiking and exploring in the mountains and Salt Flats in the area. Wish I'd known about Frisco.

these are always cool I knew some pictures would be forth coming, I look forward to seeing them each year. hopefully some decent cigars got smoked along the way.

You live such a sheltered life, Dave. You really should get out more! HA HA Especially for our benefit. Thanks once again for the pictures and conjuring up ideas of what life must have been like then and there.
We have a few old ghosted oil camps close by and up until a few years ago, a couple of old timers that lived in them, with stories of life there. Most of the stories were of adultery, fights and rattlesnakes. Funny what we remember.

Last edited:
The first place we stop, Frisco, would have felt like home to the old roustabouts. It was supposed to have been the wickedest mining camp ever. Had a population of 6,000, with 23 saloons, was said to have brothels to rival any large city in the west and averaged 12 murders a NIGHT! No fresh water, it had to be hauled in and it was actually cheaper to drink beer, which was a common theme in most mining camps of the area. The town had a literal meat wagon that would go around every morning and pick up bodies.

- DAA

I guess the founding fathers did not visualize the advent of the assault Winchester 73's & hi cap Colt SA.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Back