...C0Y0TE Ugly...

Infidel 762

Staff member
In this world, not everything grows right. This coyote adapted and used his ball joint instead of his paw. Notice the hair wear on the joint and length of hair between the pads.

NW Oklahoma has a healthy population of mange this year. A couple evenings back I called in this female, still pregnant and bald.

Killed some more coyote today. This girl recently whelped, I can only imagine pups suckling thru scabies.

Not everything in nature is pretty, in fact some things are just down right ugly.

75 coyotes killed and recovered since January 1st.

Infidel 762--Thanks for the photos and the report. You are definitely doing your part to thin out the coyote herd. Some of those coyotes are definitely COYOTE Ugly!!!

Mange seems to be running wild down here, as well. I wonder if there is an explanation for the worse than usual outbreak?

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
To bad your coyotes are so full of Mange---------The last two years Mange has been hard on our coyotes too. Also Population is way down but I did get a real nicely furred male coyote this winter also have seen 2 yearling whitetail deer this winter with mange and a cottontail rabbit ---Been years since I've seen mange in our area [ late 70's]--also Distemper has hit our K-9's and Raccoon population. Hope this clears up this summer--------------------
svb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996Mange seems to be running wild down here, as well. I wonder if there is an explanation for the outbreak?

Regards,
hm

yep. the explanation is a high population. the biggest evidence is the number of coyotes infidel has been killing.

seen this very thing happen years ago in some areas where coyote numbers were very high. a few years later you could not hardly find evidence of a coyote in those same areas.

ma nature usually has a way of taking care of things.

That makes sense, Slick. Have seen Javelina herds thinned out by some sort of disease after population exploded.

Regards,
hm

NATURE SEEMS TO HAVE A WAY OF REGULATING OVERPOPULATION. Infidel 762 IS HELPING HER WITH THAT FOR SURE!!!!!!

Last edited:
No beauty there for sure, maybe a cure for future harvest.
Seems odd taking pride in such a mess but it is well deserved.

This year I started hunting full days again, past few years I pretty much waited for snow days or specific weather conditions before I would dedicate a full day of hunting from sun up to sun down, which usually netted 3 or 4 days a year. This year we did not have a single day of snow, a little self evaluation showed I have been getting lazy the older I get. The excuse I have been giving myself is that they respond best at dusk and dawn and not over calling the places I have. More self evaluation showed I have lost the stamina of youth I once had, I just can't cover the ground i used to in a day's time.

There is a good population of coyote around here, pretty much anywhere you go holds them. I'm sure mange does play a part with the higher numbers, I opened up a healthy looking female that only had 4 pups in her. I have also killed a high ratio of barren, beta females, nature does have certain checks and balances.

Wish I had the knowledge I have now, with the energy of youth I see slowly slipping away...

Quote:More self evaluation showed I have lost the stamina of youth I once had, I just can't cover the ground i used to in a day's time.

Just wait about 40 years, Jeremy, it gets better.
grin.gif

Not too many years ago I hunted over 200 days one year; not all day every day, but the largest part of it. Nowadays I'm doing pretty well to put in about 8-9 hours/day and find myself parking the jeep a lot closer to my stands than I used to, as well.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

You know about the two I killed last week that had some mange on them. Last night I was out on that same property, setting up a pig pipe. Wind was blowing pretty hard to be calling so I was making do. While I was driving around I saw one of the coyotes my son has been telling me about. Totally manged out, just looked black. I took a pop shot at it with the AR and missed, the shot was kind of far for that rifle. Probably with the 243 it would have been dead. For sure out in that area coyote population is high this year.

Too many coyotes too close together and diseases like mange and canine distemper run rampant. Anti-hunters don't get how the hunter plays into the conservation model through population and vector control.

Nice job sir!

This post is should be viewed by every anti hunter. Those that oppose meat hunting or predator control have no clue how ugly and vicious nature really is. They talk about letting nature sort itself out. Well sorting it out means a long slow grueling death and not just for the one individual but at times their offspring as well. I carry specific graphic pictures on my phone just for the question "How can you shoot that beautiful coyote that didn't hurt anything". Easy have a look. Sorry rant over but a great post, I really appreciate it.

Back