So ..... I said I wouldn't ever reload !

No Off Season

But now I'm on the fence. When much younger loaded shotgun and that went well. If I got some guidance and a loader at the right price, as well as all the items to get me started I just might get into the reloading game. Only thing I'm interested in is 22-250. Been reading a bit and have a guy that's sort of close that I could get some pointers from. Guess I'll get a book or two. If any of you have some idle equipment that is gathering dust shoot me a PM with something reasonable.
Starting here and may post in the classified section, but not in any hurry.
Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any idle equipment that would be of any use to you, but I wanted to say good luck getting started, and I hope it goes well for you. I do consider myself lucky that my dad has always been a reloader and passed that knowledge on to me. It definitely does help to have a mentor when you're getting started. It may seem frustrating at times, but its well worth the effort once you start fine tuning those loads and see groups turn into little cloverleafs on the target paper.

Several years ago a good friend talked me into buying the Hornady reloading manual, cause it was on closeout sale, right ??
He had been reloading for years and my position had been that reloading cost more than it was worth.
He had an agenda, me thinks..

Another friend had a Lee 3 hole turret press he wasn't using & just gave it to me if I'd put it to good use.

8 reloading calibers latter, I now think 8 is a bit too much, and all because of that silly book on sale !!

Sound just like my Mentor! He was an old retired school teacher that gave me a book to read on Beekeeping. I've still never read it. Finally he handed me a suit and said pit it on, you can help me. When at a hive he was standing back ....do this, that, the other. I question "thought I was HELPING" He said you are keep up now! He's gone now and I'm a much more knowledgeable beekeeper than he ever was. He swelled with pride when he told others what kind of a beekeeper I am. Nice how others have influence on us. Sometimes we don't see how we influence others.

Today, there's probably not a huge savings from reloading but you can tailor loads to shoot more accurately. Loading for one caliber, I would get an RCBS single stage press and a set of RCBS dies. Fairly cheap and their warranty is great. You'll need a scale and powder dispenser of some type to. Thats just the basic that would get you started. Oh ya, a priming tool also and Lee make a pretty good one and not expensive.

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonBut now I'm on the fence. When much younger loaded shotgun and that went well. If I got some guidance and a loader at the right price, as well as all the items to get me started I just might get into the reloading game. Only thing I'm interested in is 22-250. Been reading a bit and have a guy that's sort of close that I could get some pointers from. Guess I'll get a book or two. If any of you have some idle equipment that is gathering dust shoot me a PM with something reasonable.
Thanks

Do some research and decide what you need, and then start looking for specifics.

Can't say that I NEED any of it. But will be shooting a bit more (bought the AR)and my hunting partner shoots the same caliber. We do pick on the prairie dogs when out west each year. We had taken up coyote hunting to be able to hunt yr round many years ago. Can't say that cost of ammo has ever been a determining factor of a hunt or a trip to the range. So this intrigue is not due to cost saving. Have looked at the RCBS pro crusher 5. Of course I'd like to find something used, then I'd get the dies new. I see all the ongoing debate over scales (dig or beam). Even though this is smaller scale I still think I'd like to have a progressive. I am very cautious with things and extremely attentive so not just going to sit down and knock out several hundred rounds. So still thinking get the single stage and get started then if I get comfortable and set with the load that works best for me, move up.

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonBut now I'm on the fence. When much younger loaded shotgun and that went well. If I got some guidance and a loader at the right price, as well as all the items to get me started I just might get into the reloading game. Only thing I'm interested in is 22-250. Been reading a bit and have a guy that's sort of close that I could get some pointers from. Guess I'll get a book or two. If any of you have some idle equipment that is gathering dust shoot me a PM with something reasonable.
Thanks This is how the sickness starts.. Good luck on the cure...

Originally Posted By: No Off Season Even though this is smaller scale I still think I'd like to have a progressive. I am very cautious with things and extremely attentive so not just going to sit down and knock out several hundred rounds. So still thinking get the single stage and get started then if I get comfortable and set with the load that works best for me, move up.

I'd definitely recommend starting out with a single stage as opposed to a progressive. On a progressive you are typically relying on the powder measure to throw your powder charge, whereas, on a single stage you are throwing the powder charge and then verifying with a scale. Typically, progressive presses are used for loading handgun ammo and bulk rifle ammo, not precision-ish load development and repeatable hunting loads......not saying it can't be done, it's just not the norm and trying to make it work is more hassle than it's worth, IMO.

I'd bite the bullet and just buy a kit, either Lee, RCBS, Hornady, etc. You'll end up buying all the stuff in the kit anyway, this way it all comes together instead of you realizing what you are missing come Sunday night when all the stores close early, lol.

A kit isn't a bad start but I would recommend a better scale than what comes with most kits.

I would agree with skipping the progressive.

I have seen some decent deals on good presses at the hole in the wall gun/pawn shops, if you have any shops like that around I would give them a call and ask if they have any reloading equipment for sale.

I been using a single stage press forever. Matter of fact, I have two. I can load a bunch of ammo in a short time if I need to. I do have a digital powder scale but just got it a few years ago. It speeds thing up.

So with the single stage you set up the volume that you intend, then work all of them through each stage correct? Ignorance would lead me to think that once a sweet load was worked up, then you set the progressive and go with it. Is it that the powder charge is not trusted to be as accurate ?

I just ask because I don't think I'll have need for much variety. I'm laughing with y'all and at myself for the comments of the sickness......has hit with so many things for us men with toys! Bees included!

Powder throwers aren't to be trusted for quality ammo, and that's with a good flowing powder, stick powders no way, charge weights are all over with stick powders.

Single stage presses are easy. Just resize and prime all your brass and set it aside then change dies and weigh out your powder and seat the bullet.

Ok...quality is what I'm looking for. I've been shooting the superformance for some time now with very satisfactory results. Do I save this brass or is there much better brass to be had other than the cost of the best?
I'll get to looking for a kit. Haven't gotten a pm with any offers of idle equipment like I was quite hopeful of.

I would save any brass you find just separate the different head stamps and work up a different load for each head stamp. Different head stamps don't intermingle well, it took a good amount of explaining that to my buddy that just got into loading himself(sorry I gave my unused stuff to him) and he still didn't believe there were differences in brands of brass until he read it a couple places online.

Hornady brass is ok, may get less rounds through each one vs premium brass.
Point is, its already in hand and good enough, imo.
Most of what I reload is Hornady.
It tends to have more case capacity (lighter weight per case) than premium brass.
Some guys weight and sort brass in order to keep things similar then other guys will say its a waste of time..
I only weigh/sort cases that are intended to shoot really small groups.
Once the cases get a few shootings on them, you will need to look for signs of fatigue, and throw away any that are questionable.

I like RCBS. Is it the best? No! But you can load accurate ammo with it. Customer service is great. Usually, you break something, give them a call and they replace it FREE! As far as brass, Bob ATL is pretty right on. I shoot quite a bit of Hornady. Its usually always on the shelf, fairly cheap and its decent brass. And if you lose a few in the grass while hunting, you won't be on your hands and knees looking for it. It ain't Lapua but it don't cost a buck a pop.

Last edited:
Back