Lemons!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThe guy said it "was" a good shooter. I think he used "was" in past tense.

If he used the word "was", he didn't make any claims about what it might do tomorrow.
laugh.gif

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/was

Looks like my lemon may have turned into a cherry. They claim you cant polish a turd also but I think I may have. Been dragging an old barrel I pulled off a rifle years ago, unknown maker, 10 twist,7mm08. Screwed it on my action, re-set the head space and loaded up some 120 Noslers and IMR4895. I had 4 different charges and the third charge put three shots I can cover with a dime. I think the old rifle has a little life left in it yet.

Last edited:
My only lemon was a brand new Ruger 77/22hornet.
I really liked the rifle but the accuracy was horrible.
I'm pretty hard headed though so I spent almost as much as the original price with a trigger, bedding, set back and match chamber, and a target crown.
Never did get the damm thing to shoot under 1.5" at 100.

I've been lucky and never got a lemon yet. My last 4 rifles I bought new so maybe I'm done with used rifles. I agree about the hot rod calibers, there is probably a good reason the rifle is for sale.

Sorry to hear you got burned, but eventually it happens.

Lucky for me, I had most of the parts to salvage it and its turning into a nice hunting rifle. Species I will hunt with it have change but thats OK too.

At most Tulsa shows, the bolts are strapped shut. Most times you can cut the strap and look them over. This time I didn't. My bad! I also thought I was getting a custom barrel judging from the markings on the barrel. Well, it had a chamber re-cut and the original writing was under the stock. Again my bad! Still, I had parts to fix it and only bought a stock to get rid of the tupperware but would have done that anyway, good barrel or bad. So it worked out for the good this time.

Nope I bought a very accurate no1 in 7mag. I just had to shoot 1 shot groups. It was set up for targets running away from me. Each shot was 2 or three inches higher than the previous one. Had to rework the forearm to make it settle down. It is a decent hunting rifle but not stellar. Best groups are just under one inch. 1.25 is more of a norm. It sure is pretty though.

The only Lemons I ever bought was a a pair of Ruger #1 in 25-06. Bought it one and best groups I could get out of it was about 4 inches at 100 yards. Sold that one and bought another thinking I had just got a bad one. same thing. People at Ruger at that time seemed to thing that if it went bang it was good. Turned me off on Ruger for a lot of years. Finally bought a 223 in a bolt and it has been one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned. I recently bought a Hawkey predator and it to is very accurate. I have had probably 30 number ones in my life and these to were the only ones that I couldn't get to shoot acceptable. I have had a few issues over the years with Ruger and now their customer service is very good.

drscott

Bought a used Rossi Model 52 pump action 22 Rifle online one time. Paid too much and it was a piece of crap automatic.
Learned my lesson. Never buy a Rossi again!

Robert

When I was into collecting WWII rifles, I grabbed a dirt cheap, beat up, never refurbished Mosin Nagant M91/30 from a kid in Chicago. I knew it was rough, and the price reflected it well, but what I didn't know was that on the left side of the rifle there was a HUGE gouge taken out of the stock. After going back and looking at all the pictures, I noticed the kid purposefully left that spot out. I called him out on it, and told him reputation is everything in the world of collecting. He made it right, but it was a shady thing to do.

Not a lemon, but I got a surprisingly good deal last year that made both of us happy, which is as rare as lemons. I traded a guy a PSA AR-15 I put together with a DPMS zombie lower and a small amount of cash for an older Arctic Cat 90cc quad for my kid. The quad looked rough, and I was nervous to do the deal. Luckily the guy knew his stuff when it came to working on things, and after I saw his workshop I knew it wasn't blowing smoke. To this day that quad starts on the first kick and rides like a dream. I ran into the guy a few months later and he said he loved the AR. Talk about a rare occurrence!

Bought a brand new Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 223. Couldn't chamber a round without galling the side of the case! Didn't want the hassle of shipping it back to Ruger, so I toke a dremmal to it and a whole lot of polishing. Works fine now. Bought a 22/250 from an gun auction house here in Ohio & Wyoming (not saying any names). Suppose to be an Interarms Mauser, well pretty much didn't prove to be that at all. With a POS stock! Tryed to put a Timney trigger in it,wouldn't fit right. So off to my smitty she went. Had to mill the back of the trigger, so that it would engage and lock. Luckily I had a Herters stock to put on it. Alls good now!

Back