Spypoint trail cameras

Doubleclutch

Letter to Spypoint:

Last year, 2017 at the end of November I ordered four of your SpyPoint Force-10 cameras.

One of the cameras leaked water into it during a rain and quit working around the first of this year. I did not contact your company for some time since your warranty is stated as two (2) years. After a close examination of the camera the door gasket did have a flaw at the top center and was obviously glued on improperly.

I contacted your company by email and received a reply that I should send the camera in with $20. For repair and that the warrenty was for one year (1). I called and talked to a person, Robert that said that I had no way of knowing if the camera had a factory defect to send by email, copies of my receipts and a picture of the gasket and if he determined the problem to be a factory defect it would not cost $20 to repair, to send you the camers..

I sent the camera to your company. Then I received a phone message from Robert that stated that if I would send $50. He would send me a new camera. I returned the call and was told that Robert had gone home.
On 4/27/2018 @ 11:30 AM Robert called again and I tried to tell him that it was obvious that your company did not honor your written warrenty. Robert did not want to hear what I had to say and started to talk over me and would not listen at all, so I just disconnected the call after being told that the camera could be sent back to me or put in the trash. I have never experienced such unreasonable rudness from a reputable company represenative.

Now I have discovered another cameras with water inside, but is still working, for now. I can not see any defect in the door gasket at this time. That is a 50% fail rate in the first few months of operation.
mad.gif

Last edited:
thanks for the warning i don't think i'll be buying spypoint. it's been a few years but i have had good luck with moultrie customer service .

I keep hearing the same about Moultrie.

I may use my cameras differently from many and differently from people that I know.
I leave mine out all year in the real thick woods right behind my house that is over 22K acres of timber.
I look for quick trigger speed to catch fast movers and good battery life is a plus. The Spypoint advertised both and only uses six AA batteries.
Spypoint has about ½ the width of my Brownings field of view and maybe 1/3 of the wide angle Stealth Cams. I have not seen a longer battery life with Spypoint. Spypoint’s narrow field of view gives a lot of blank pictures, no critters.

I have learned the hard way to stick with reputable American companies regardless of where their cameras are made.
Not long ago I sent a Culddeback camera that I bought in 2005 to a friend that wanted one to see what was lurking in their back yard. It was still working fine but used D batteries.
I have called Cuddeback for new door gaskets and they sent them for the old out of date camera for $5.
Called Browning for new door latches and they sent them free, also way out of warranty.

Never used a Spypoint camera but have used Moultrie and Cuddeback several years ago. Pictures were fine, batteries went fast and the cameras developed a few problems after a couple seasons. I used alkaline batteries back then and they didn't last long.

For the past 4 years I've used the Reconyx HyperFire PC900 which takes 12 AA batteries. I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries and after 2 months of continued use this past winter I still have 85% battery life. Temps got down to -24*F at night on more than one occasion and I had a total of 586 pictures on the card. Picture quality is good but really no better than other trail cameras of recent manufacture. I have never had any problems with the camera, so can't comment on their customer service, but for the price of their cameras, I would think the CS would be great.

The newer Reconyx Trail Camera Versions look to be a significant upgrade from my current camera but for my "needs", I'll try and resist the temptation to "upgrade". All Reconyx cameras are made in the USA.

Back