Rimless 357 max AR

If your talking about the 357 max based off of 223 case, then as I understand, you use 357 mag rifle load data at maximum for starting loads in the 357 max AR. The 357 mag data is for 35,000 psi. Where the AR platform is good for 50k. Hope that helps.

This looks like a boat load of fun!!!!! I will be watching this one as i have a .357 max in a contender and an AR would be so much fun.

I have a TC barrel in 14" and 16 1/2" also but the first one I am going to build will be built using a M7 action with a 18" or 20" barrel.
Yes I think it will be a very cool cartridge in a AR especially since Ohio changed the hunting regs to any straight walled cartridge .357 cal to .50 cal,

I am not looking to do this right away, but who would I go to for a barrel? I have a couple of stripped uppers from the last AWB scare that I could build on.

Thanks for the web site info. It was quite a read and they are definitely way smarter than me in the ballistics world. Since all the thinking and the engineering has been done it does seem like a great project/ round. The only problem is the converting of the brass, with all the work to make it happen it would be a heart ache to shoot it and loose one little piece after all the work you did to make it. If they get the 5.56 basic brass situation worked out it might be worth looking into.

Quality Cartridge has cylindrical brass but the headstamp is 17-223 they are out right now but are going to do another run on the spring, I'm on the list for 1000 cases.
It will just need trimmed to length and maybe neck reamed or turned.

I also have a few thousand LC 13 cases I'm going to straighten some of them out and see how they work

Last edited:
After doing the obligatory net search, it appears most guys that have tried this all the way thru the process, removing enough taper to seat a 357, or even 355 bullet, feeding, magazine retention, chambering, etc are problematic. Seems it works with 338 though. FWIW

Originally Posted By: Uncle_SteveHas any one seen the new release from winchester, the 350 legend? Sounds like these are the same thing.

What I'm reading indicates that this may well be a rebated rim case. I'm pretty certain it is not a straight derivative of a 223 with the walls straightened.

IMHO Winchester will not put something out there that any of us can make cheaper. That being said as it will be SAAMI there should be a lot of barrels available very soon and the cheapest ammo will be a good brass supply until someone like Starline jumps in like they did on the Valkyrie and the 6.8.

Greg

Last edited:
Haven't we come a long way. In 1905 Winchester brought out the 351 SL, straight case pushing a 180gr bullet to 1925 fps out of 20" barrel and it was in a semi-auto.

Yes, actually I'm having MDW chamber a Savage barrel for the girls to use for deer hunting, they have been using a TC Contender with a Bullbery 16" 357 max barrel, this should make a nice little rifle form them

Awesome. I really considered a savage barrel but found a better deal on an AR upper reciever before I could find a good deal on a savage action lol. Keep us posted on your build and how it works out

Back