AR-10 243 cycling issues with suppressors

ryutzy

RRA LAR-8 20 in barrel in 243 with a ThunderBeast Ultra 7
Ok I’m shooting above setup- I handload and am shooting 75 vmax for yotes. Issue Im having is gun jamming every so often but only with suppressor on. Factory Hornady SuperPerformance jams every time- long writeup on Hornady’s site about not using SuperPerformance powder in short barrels shooting suppressed, because of powder burn time/pressure peak in/at suppressor etc. I have tried multiple powders and here’s my results: Varget jams 40% of the time. H414 has not jammed yet but only fired 5 rounds. H4895 has been perfect- 100% reliable 40+ rounds fired. Basically faster burning powders work better shooting suppressed in short barreled gas guns. I will try Benchmark and 4064 yet. Several questions I have: Can I get an adjustable gas block on the RR LAR-8 and still maintain the free float barrel? (It’s under the forearm). I’d rather not have to mess with it. So far I’ve only been able to get 3,260 FPS from H4895 but I got 3,400 from Varget. My goal was 3,300+ from 20” barrel. Accuracy of all rounds tested is good. 3/4 inch @100 yards. Anyone have experience with this and what should be my next step?

No/Minimal pressure signs with H4895 but I hit a good node and velocity actually decreased slightly with more powder (38.4 then 38.8 then 39.2). 38.4 was fastest. Try magnum primers? Any other things I should try or do I just need an adjustable gas block? Thanks

You need an adjustable gas block. I had the same problem with over-gassing with my can on my dpms 243 and once I put a adj. block on it the problems went away.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replys. I’ll look into getting a low pro one. Was hoping to avoid it but I want the velocity I can get with other powders

Originally Posted By: ryutzyOk thanks for the replys. I’ll look into getting a low pro one. Was hoping to avoid it but I want the velocity I can get with other powders

I recommend SLR for the gas block. Do you know what size? .750, .875, .936 other ? SLR offers the three I listed.

Originally Posted By: ryutzy No I don’t know size but will find out. Rock River also suggested the slr. Worth that high price tag?

I have five of them on my large frame builds... so yes, they are worth it.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt Worth that high price tag?

Quote:I have five of them on my large frame builds... so yes, they are worth it.

dont have any on my builds. so no, they are not worth it.
tongue_smilie.gif

What o'clock is your ejection? How heavy is your buffer? In addition to the SLR gas block I'd want something 8-10oz especially if you reload.

For reference on an 18" .260 and 22" 6.5 suppressed I'm using a 9oz buffer, adjustable block suppressed and spitting them out from 3-5 o'clock and still getting reliable bolt catch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wyoming WinchesterJust ordered a SUPERLATIVE for my DPMS LA 308. Had a lot of gas blow back, and some real dirty brass.

I hope you luck so far I have found no make of 308 that will function with an Omega Suppressor, This includes Ruger, DPMS, and Armalite. I even sent a DPMS back to the factory and they could not make it work. Everything was used on the DPMS Adjustable Gas Block, Extra Heavy In line Buffers,and Heavy Springs. Only thing not tried is replacing the Bolt and installing a longer Barrel. I am told longer Barrels do help.

Currently I am waiting on delivery of a POF 308 hoping it will function. POF is installing a WEEP Hole or Port in the piston to bleed off the gas.

In addition I have replaced the Brakes with the Flashiders to blow gas straight out and if needed will replace the End Cap with a 45 Caliber to further reduce back pressure. I am told the Silencerco Omega is the worst suppressor on the market right now as far as getting an auto 308 to function. I am told the reason is the Omega is very quiet and makes more Back Pressure than other Suppressors. Same folks told me the Silencerco Specwar causes no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daddyfleaOriginally Posted By: Wyoming WinchesterJust ordered a SUPERLATIVE for my DPMS LA 308. Had a lot of gas blow back, and some real dirty brass.

I hope you luck so far I have found no make of 308 that will function with an Omega Suppressor, This includes Ruger, DPMS, and Armalite. I even sent a DPMS back to the factory and they could not make it work. Everything was used on the DPMS Adjustable Gas Block, Extra Heavy In line Buffers,and Heavy Springs. Only thing not tried is replacing the Bolt and installing a longer Barrel. I am told longer Barrels do help.

Currently I am waiting on delivery of a POF 308 hoping it will function. POF is installing a WEEP Hole or Port in the piston to bleed off the gas.

In addition I have replaced the Brakes with the Flashiders to blow gas straight out and if needed will replace the End Cap with a 45 Caliber to further reduce back pressure. I am told the Silencerco Omega is the worst suppressor on the market right now as far as getting an auto 308 to function. I am told the reason is the Omega is very quiet and makes more Back Pressure than other Suppressors. Same folks told me the Silencerco Specwar causes no problems.

I am running a Specwar on 308 and 243win no problems.

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: daddyfleaOriginally Posted By: Wyoming WinchesterJust ordered a SUPERLATIVE for my DPMS LA 308. Had a lot of gas blow back, and some real dirty brass.

Quote:I am running a Specwar on 308 and 243win no problems.

I was told by POF that Specwar is good causes no problems. Not so with Omega

I came to this site a few years ago to find out about what suppresser to buy.
After, I cut thru the BS. The answer was Specwar 7,68. $1,000.00.
I found that people in gun stores want to sell you their junk, they can not sell.
I made a few phone calls found a Specwar. Pay for it over the phone.
Then, went the next day and signed the form 4, in 8 months it was mine.
I uses it on bolt guns AR's AK's and even a VZ58/2008 CIA
On my CZ 527/300 blackout, I can hear the firing pin fall.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I came to this site a few years ago to find out about what suppresser to buy.
After, I cut thru the BS. The answer was Specwar 7,68. $1,000.00.
I found that people in gun stores want to sell you their junk, they can not sell.
I made a few phone calls found a Specwar. Pay for it over the phone.
Then, went the next day and signed the form 4, in 8 months it was mine.
I uses it on bolt guns AR's AK's and even a VZ58/2008 CIA
On my CZ 527/300 blackout, I can hear the firing pin fall.

I believe you are correct. As my post above states Silencerco makes both the Specwar and the Omega. POF firearms told me Specwar causes no problems but that Omega did. I found out firsthand.

Back