Steyr Model L 22-250

AubreyD.

Any know the twist rate on this rifle? It’s the one with the double set triggers and detachable box magazine. It has a 23 in barrel on it. Thanks for he help!

You can check it with a patch and a cleaning rod.
You should clean the bore before you buy it.

Last edited:
If you like the rifle, 1-14 22-250's have been killing coyotes for a very long time. If you really feel heavier bullets are called for look for one in 243. When you see a rifle that you just have to have you also have to put up with it's shortcomings.

Yeah I know 1-14’s are deadly on yotes. I have some Berger 52 grainers that it should like pretty well. I also have the 50 grain Barnes TTSX and those are deadly out of the Swift so we will see.

Did a little surfing. Didn't find much but one guy said he thought it was a 12 twist. Its really not that hard to figure it out with a cleaning rod and a tight patch.

Without trying to sound hateful, finding the twist rate of a barrel is too easy. Unless you don't have a cleaning rod and some patchs. It ain't rocket surgery.

I guess the question we need answered from the OP is is the gun in your possession or are you looking to buy it so cannot measure it yourself?

I've had two of the Steyr's in 223. Both the varmint models with the set triggers. Both were exceptionally nice rifles and extremely accurate. If I had the 22-250, a 12 or 14 twist wouldn't really matter to me.

I did check with a cleaning rod and the gun is a 1-12 twist. I think some 60 grain Match Varmint Bergers and a healthy dose of Rl-15 or Varget should do the trick. I will upload some pictures of the rifle and a range report as soon as my bases come in and I get the Zeiss mounted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I did check with a cleaning rod and the gun is a 1-12 twist. I think some 60 grain Match Varmint Bergers and a healthy dose of Rl-15 or Varget should do the trick. I will upload some pictures of the rifle and a range report as soon as my bases come in and I get the Zeiss mounted.

That should be a sweet rig....looking forward to the pix.

Should have never sold mine but they are so nice I was afraid of scratching it up then. I wasn't into the nice wood stocks back then. They are lookers and shoot as good as they look.

Last edited:
Update, Finally got the rings and bases. Range Report this weekend shot be trying 60 grain Gameking HP's and 60 grain Bergers. She is wearing a Zeiss 3-9x40

Dont know how she shoots yet, Have some RL-15 and Varget along with 60 grain Berger ans Sierra MAtchkings so we shall see.

Back