What Tumbling Media do you use??

I just got into reloading. By that I mean that I have bought the stuff and have unboxed it. I haven't even made 1 round yet.
What media are you guys using and what do you think the pros and cons are for each type. Thanks

fair warning....I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions in the near future also.

Last edited:
Depending on how dirty your brass is I used to use either the crushed walnut and then corn cob, or if they were somewhat clean I’d just corn cob. Real dirty stuff I’ve also used white rice with cut up pieces of dryer sheets in it, works pretty good.

I went with a wet tumbler a few years back and I’ll likely never use my media tumbler anymore unless it’s a small batch or I want to apply some polish. With the wet tumbler they come out looking as good or better than new and you can run huge batches.

there really aren't any dumb questions but there might be some dumb answers
wink.gif

I've always just used corn cob media. As I recall the basics are that walnut will clean better but CC will shine better, so I'd say it's more driven by the condition of your brass.

lately I've experimented a bit using an ultra sonic cleaner. I think I have the solution mix now, but found that if the brass is just dumped in the stainless parts basket I end up with marks on the finish. It does however clean the brass inside & out, including primer pockets. The ugly finish was cleaned by by putting in my other case cleaner with corn cob LOL

not wanting to hijack but I've been using a sonic and just spinning the brass in the Lee shoulder made for trimming chucked in a cordless drill..about 3 seconds with some 0000 steel wool has them shining like a mirror...
Any negatives to this method?

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI went with a wet tumbler a few years back and I’ll likely never use my media tumbler anymore unless it’s a small batch or I want to apply some polish. With the wet tumbler they come out looking as good or better than new and you can run huge batches.

^^^THIS^^^
But for small batches, I use what I started out with, the double
drum HF rock polisher with the stainless pins ordered separately.
It also polishes/cleans the brass shinier than new.

Wet tumbler. Once you have the SS pins you will not have to get any more media. You will not have to clean primer pockets. You get a good visual to see if there are any defects. The dawn liquid dish soap and lemishine is easy to get and last a long time.
The only negative I've found is it feels like the bullets are dragging a little in the clean neck. I dip my bullets in Imperial Dry Neck Lube and they seat real easy. You can get the dual drums at Harbor Freight pretty cheap to see how you will like it and if you don't someone will always buy them. Try it,you'll like it.

I soak my cases in a Lemishime solution with a little Dawn for about 45 mins. After they're dry I tumble them for about an hour using "Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend" available at Amazon or pet stores. Put in a little NuFinish for a little shine. The size of this media won't get stuck in the flash holes. You'll be surprised how shiny the cases come out. Could they be shinier? (not sure if that's a word) Probably. But I go to a range to shoot quality ammo, not participate in a shiny case contest.

Originally Posted By: marchboomI soak my cases in a Lemishime solution with a little Dawn for about 45 mins. After they're dry I tumble them for about an hour using "Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend" available at Amazon or pet stores. Put in a little NuFinish for a little shine. The size of this media won't get stuck in the flash holes. You'll be surprised how shiny the cases come out. Could they be shinier? (not sure if that's a word) Probably. But I go to a range to shoot quality ammo, not participate in a shiny case contest.

dont waste your $ on the pet store stuff, you're paying more because it says "pet" on it.

go to Harbor freight, use the 25% off coupon to buy a 25 lb box for $23. (less the coupon of course)

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

you'll have enough media for dry tumbling for years and years and years.

as noted the Nu Finish is a nice additive for polishing, and get the cheapest dryer sheets you can find and throw one of those into eveyr batch for dust collection. It'll help your media last longer and keep your brass from coming out dusty.

ive been told that used dryer sheets work well too, so maybe try them too.

i will say, once i went wet with stainless i've never looked back. although i do still use my vibratory tumbler with walnut for rough cleaning and lube removal. I dont like putting dirty (picked up off the ground) brass through my case feeder so 10 mins in walnut gets the grit off, likewise for case lube removal after sizing. I still do my main cleaning with stainless pins, lemi shine & dawn though as it saves me from cleaning the primer pockets and you cant beat the results for the time invested.

the frankford arsenal kit goes on sale for around $129 a few times a year and is regularly on sale for $150 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Rotary-Tumbler/dp/B00HTN4R6O

"dont waste your $ on the pet store stuff, you're paying more because it says "pet" on it."

I get mine for free from my wife's pet store. Works good with a little odorless mineral spirits mixed with it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kenlguy"dont waste your $ on the pet store stuff, you're paying more because it says "pet" on it."

I get mine for free from my wife's pet store. Works good with a little odorless mineral spirits mixed with it.
smile.gif

in that case, carry on sir! lucky you!

I have only used the lyman tuffnut. And a capfull of polish. Did over 3000 rnds 9mm, 500 rnds 38/357, 250 rnds of 40 s&w and 250 rnds of 45 auto. And finally had to change out my media for new. But used half the jug in my hornady tumbler. I will try the 25lbs from harbor freight next time. To see if it works as good.

Walnut media, NuFinish and a cap full of mineral spirits, I never tried the dryer sheet but dust seems pretty minimal as is. Load the drum with more brass than you think it should have (say 60-70%). 4 hours of this and brass is just as shiny as factory new (on the outside). I like cleaning primer pockets separately as I use that time to inspect each case. Bonus is I don't have to spend time drying brass and I don't have to lube necks.

I get ground walnut from Harbor freight. Works great and very inexpensive. $25 for 25 pounds, two different grits.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=Walnut+Shell

Mike

P.S. you can add case polish

Watch out for the pet store stuff. Some of it has clay in it. When you use it, it fills the cartridges solid with media and you will never get it all out. Ask me how I know.

Back