Bulk buckshot or not ?

Tim Neitzke

Looking for ideas on some buckshot #4 or 00 maybe in bulk if it's worth while and priced fairly. This will be mainly for play /blasting on those days I just want to have a little fun, shooting the stuffing out of things.
grin.gif
I have / used Estate brand in the past and it shot pretty good. Only thing I did not care for was the loose crimps on some as the buffer media leaks all over. I could take the time to wax seal them, but don't really want to.

You guys have any ideas or favorites ?

Time to get the new 12ga out for a play date.
tongue_smilie.gif

I'd like to know what people are thinking along the lines of buckshot as well. Not interested in factory ammo! Load some Hornady 4 buck with longshot powder , Lyman's recipe. Had a coyote run up to me on a drive sat down 40yds. away sat down and looked at me. Took the shot peeled off some fur, and watched that coyote run off. After some missed followed up shots😂!!! My son even told me that these loads weren't any good. I've started to believe him after all this. LOL What's a father to do? Copper plated? 2 hard shot?

I see that ‘bulk’ type buckshot advertised fairly often, seems it’s marketed for the LE or ‘home defense’ market. It should be fine for general use and plinking. I try to buy USA made ammo, as much as possible, not to say that all foreign stuff is bad.

When I go predator hunting I’m usually using one of the ‘T’ shot options, they cost more of course.

if you're just looking for blaster grade buckshot... walmart sells the Suprema 00 buck for like $9/25 rounds. its distributed by tula - but i dont think its made by them as they dont even list it on their website, but its done pretty well for me so far considering the price point. i use it as blaster stuff for the days like you say that you just wanna put a bunch of holes in things rapidly.

it cycles in my saiga, which was the test bunny for it.

ive never bothered to pattern it at long distance or anything but it goes bang, puts holes in stuff every time it does and its cheap. i just use it for bang-bang-bang ammo.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDid you pattern your gun with it ?

is it even legal to ask that kind of question?
OF COURSE I PATTERNED IT!!! LOL Bennili 30" barrel with full choke and pattenmaster's tubes. Actually the regular full choke was just as good! Right on Slicker...

Originally Posted By: BoommeupI'd like to know what people are thinking along the lines of buckshot as well. Not interested in factory ammo! Load some Hornady 4 buck with longshot powder , Lyman's recipe. Had a coyote run up to me on a drive sat down 40yds. away sat down and looked at me. Took the shot peeled off some fur, and watched that coyote run off. After some missed followed up shots😂!!! My son even told me that these loads weren't any good. I've started to believe him after all this. LOL What's a father to do? Copper plated? 2 hard shot?

Try some lead "T"shot or lead "BBB" shot from Ballistic Products Inc. Both of these sizes work good on coyotes and they give you almost twice as many pellets over Number 4 buckshot.

The 12g/cc HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run Sports Supply really works good on coyotes because it is denser and harder than lead shot but it is much more expensive than lead shot. The HW13 BB loads would compare to Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote and Hevi-Shot "B" shot Goose loads. The HW13 BB reloads would cost about half as much as the Hevi-Shot factory loads.

Look at the difference in the yards that these 3 shot types get 3.70" of gel penetration.

1250 fps lead #2 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 17.4 yards.
1250 fps lead BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 52.9 yards.
1250 fps HW13 BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 72.0 yards.

1-1/2 oz of lead Number 4 Buckshot has 32 pellets in it.
1-1/2 oz of lead BBB shot has 65 pellets in it.
1-1/2 oz of HW13 BB shot has 70 pellets in it

Very interesting on those gel penetration test! Never really thought about the smaller shot! I am now!!! Your right muskrat, a lot of 00 buck out there. And the fancy coyote loads price just doesn't interest me at all. Hope I didn't hijack your post Tim!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDid you pattern your gun with it ?

is it even legal to ask that kind of question?

Depends on who it is...
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you're just looking for blaster grade buckshot... walmart sells the Suprema 00 buck for like $9/25 rounds. its distributed by tula - but i dont think its made by them as they dont even list it on their website, but its done pretty well for me so far considering the price point. i use it as blaster stuff for the days like you say that you just wanna put a bunch of holes in things rapidly.

ive never bothered to pattern it at long distance or anything but it goes bang, puts holes in stuff every time it does and its cheap. i just use it for bang-bang-bang ammo.

How dirty is that stuff ?

Years ago I bought an ammo can of 25 rds/box S&B buckshot from Cabelas (maybe 8 boxes in the can?) for a good price. I thought I saw a deal on it not too long ago - cant remember where - mighta been Cabelas.

Tim, from what I'm seeing in a qwik net search, cheapest might be 30 cents a pc plus shipping - ex. S&B @ ammograb.com. Looks like bulk shot is about 30-35 cents a shot for reloading. Most factory standard retail pricing seems to be around 50-60 cents a rd. FWIW

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you're just looking for blaster grade buckshot... walmart sells the Suprema 00 buck for like $9/25 rounds. its distributed by tula - but i dont think its made by them as they dont even list it on their website, but its done pretty well for me so far considering the price point. i use it as blaster stuff for the days like you say that you just wanna put a bunch of holes in things rapidly.

didnt seem too bad from what i remember, but its been a while too. i sure dont recall it being any dirtier than federal trap/skeet 100 packs.

when i wanna go do the bang-bang-bang thing my 12 gauge isnt my usual go-to - unless we're having a clay breaking day anyway - i have a bad habit of grabbing something i can attach the suppressor to and go ding steel so i can hear the ring of those gongs
smile.gif

grab a box or 3, give it a whirl. $30 worth of ammo should give you a reasonable test run without breaking the bank.

Originally Posted By: Mike BTim, from what I'm seeing in a qwik net search, cheapest might be 30 cents a pc plus shipping - ex. S&B @ ammograb.com. Looks like bulk shot is about 30-35 cents a shot for reloading. Most factory standard retail pricing seems to be around 50-60 cents a rd. FWIW

Thanks for looking , Mike.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you're just looking for blaster grade buckshot... walmart sells the Suprema 00 buck for like $9/25 rounds. its distributed by tula - but i dont think its made by them as they dont even list it on their website, but its done pretty well for me so far considering the price point. i use it as blaster stuff for the days like you say that you just wanna put a bunch of holes in things rapidly.

didnt seem too bad from what i remember, but its been a while too. i sure dont recall it being any dirtier than federal trap/skeet 100 packs.

when i wanna go do the bang-bang-bang thing my 12 gauge isnt my usual go-to - unless we're having a clay breaking day anyway - i have a bad habit of grabbing something i can attach the suppressor to and go ding steel so i can hear the ring of those gongs
smile.gif

grab a box or 3, give it a whirl. $30 worth of ammo should give you a reasonable test run without breaking the bank.

I've got a new gas semi auto to test drive/break in. Figured I'd pay around with it and get used to the ergos before running the good stuff and working with diff chokes and patterns etc.
grin.gif

Banging steel , oh I like that too. I just welded up some new pieces for a portable stand.
tongue_smilie.gif

Ask and ye shall receive Tim! By chance, was in our local Wally World (yes, I"m weaning myself off of them since the gun sales thing - only have my phone plan there yet till I find a suitable alternative) and they had Suprema's on sale for $7/box of 25, & Midway sent me an email today with Fiocchi's for $8/box + s/h....FWIW. I dont think you can reload em for that.

Back