Ballistic Tips for Chucks?

Flesh Eater

I went out this weekend for groundhogs and had A LOT of runners with both the .243 and .17 Hornet. I was running 95 grain soft points out of the .243 (all I had, since I had stocked up on coyote ammo), and 25 grain JHP's in the .17 (fresh out of V-Max).

I don't reload, so what are you guys running? This pay day I'll be ordering up some ballistic tips to plant those bastards where they stand! Pretty sure the soft point and JHP didn't have enough time to properly expand and make the DRT kills.

EDIT: Also, this weekend was the first time I actually hunted these animals. Usually I just take them off my own property. It turns out they'll test your marksmanship AND stealth! Every hill I crested there was a chuck on the bottom side with its head up, watching like a hawk!

Last edited:
I live out west and shoot rockchucks. I have been using 40 gr. V-max in .204 Ruger, 218 Bee, and .223. They are very explosive and give good results with several going airborne. I definitely would recommend them for 'chucks.

I can see runners with the 17 hornet and you could have runners with it regardless of bullet choice but I am surprised that the 243 is not anchoring them. I use 80 grain a-max in a 22x47 55 gr nsbt in a 223 54 gr hp bullets that I make in another 223 and 22-250 with good results. In the past I used sierra 55 gr spritzers with good results. I have experienced runners with a 22 hornet with 45 gr sierras but I sold that rifle. I have always liked 22 cal. rifles for groundhogs there seems to be a trend toward 20 and 17 calibers and that is probably ok for pariarie dogs but the groundhog is a very tough animal and is hard to kill.

Originally Posted By: jndI can see runners with the 17 hornet and you could have runners with it regardless of bullet choice but I am surprised that the 243 is not anchoring them. I use 80 grain a-max in a 22x47 55 gr nsbt in a 223 54 gr hp bullets that I make in another 223 and 22-250 with good results. In the past I used sierra 55 gr spritzers with good results. I have experienced runners with a 22 hornet with 45 gr sierras but I sold that rifle. I have always liked 22 cal. rifles for groundhogs there seems to be a trend toward 20 and 17 calibers and that is probably ok for pariarie dogs but the groundhog is a very tough animal and is hard to kill.

I'm surprised about the .243 as well, but like I said, I don't think there's enough time for the SP's to actually mushroom like they should. I shot a groundhog a couple weeks ago around 100 yards and when I reached down to pick it up, it spun and tried to bite me. I beat that one in the head with a large stick.

The ballistic tips should solve this issues. I hit one Saturday at roughly 235 yards. It ran like it was wounded, and there was blood everywhere, but it made it back to its hole. The [beeep] things are tougher than red fox!

If you use a 243 get some 58, 65, 75 or even 87 gr vmax. I have not had great luck with 17 cal when shooting Ghogs. It will kill them just fine when shot in the head but body shots result in crawlers, this is with a 17fb or 17 hmr. You will get good results with Btips.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: jndI can see runners with the 17 hornet and you could have runners with it regardless of bullet choice but I am surprised that the 243 is not anchoring them. I use 80 grain a-max in a 22x47 55 gr nsbt in a 223 54 gr hp bullets that I make in another 223 and 22-250 with good results. In the past I used sierra 55 gr spritzers with good results. I have experienced runners with a 22 hornet with 45 gr sierras but I sold that rifle. I have always liked 22 cal. rifles for groundhogs there seems to be a trend toward 20 and 17 calibers and that is probably ok for pariarie dogs but the groundhog is a very tough animal and is hard to kill.

I'm surprised about the .243 as well, but like I said, I don't think there's enough time for the SP's to actually mushroom like they should. I shot a groundhog a couple weeks ago around 100 yards and when I reached down to pick it up, it spun and tried to bite me. I beat that one in the head with a large stick.

The ballistic tips should solve this issues. I hit one Saturday at roughly 235 yards. It ran like it was wounded, and there was blood everywhere, but it made it back to its hole. The [beeep] things are tougher than red fox! Years ago I shot a groundhog with a 264 mag. at about 250 yards and when I walked over to get it half of its guts were blown out on the ground and it was still living, yes they are very tough.
Joe

Originally Posted By: whyIf you use a 243 get some 58, 65, 75 or even 87 gr vmax. I have not had great luck with 17 cal when shooting Ghogs. It will kill them just fine when shot in the head but body shots result in crawlers, this is with a 17fb or 17 hmr. You will get good results with Btips.

I've noticed the .17 Hornet is okay with a VMax around 100 yards for body shots. The JHP does nothing. I hit one walking this weekend and rolled down the hill and laid there. When I started walking to retrieve it, it got back up and was just about to go in its hole when I shot it again. Needless to say, it made it back in.

The V-Max will be ordered this week and tested again soon!

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater
I've noticed the .17 Hornet is okay with a VMax around 100 yards for body shots. The JHP does nothing. I hit one walking this weekend and rolled down the hill and laid there. When I started walking to retrieve it, it got back up and was just about to go in its hole when I shot it again. Needless to say, it made it back in.

About what weight are those groundhogs? Like Broper mentioned we have rockchucks out here and I'm not sure how close they are in size to your groundhogs, but some of our rockchucks get pretty big and fat. I've had very good success on them with my 17 hornet and factory vmax loads. Taken them out to 300 yards and never get crawl-offs. I also recently bought some of the 25gr HPs to test on ground squirrels and chucks. Not quite as explosive as vmax but seem to work just fine so far. Got 2 chucks a few days ago with the HPs at 210 and 235 yards and both were instant kills (1 body shot, 1 head shot). Now the 22 hornet Hornady soft-points I tried once were a different matter - those were horrible and after 3 in a row crawled off I put them aside and never shot them again.

Here's a photo of a nice big rockchuck I took last year for reference:
fat-chuck.jpg

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater

About what weight are those groundhogs? Like Broper mentioned we have rockchucks out here and I'm not sure how close they are in size to your groundhogs, but some of our rockchucks get pretty big and fat. I've had very good success on them with my 17 hornet and factory vmax loads. Taken them out to 300 yards and never get crawl-offs. I also recently bought some of the 25gr HPs to test on ground squirrels and chucks. Not quite as explosive as vmax but seem to work just fine so far. Got 2 chucks a few days ago with the HPs at 210 and 235 yards and both were instant kills (1 body shot, 1 head shot). Now the 22 hornet Hornady soft-points I tried once were a different matter - those were horrible and after 3 in a row crawled off I put them aside and never shot them again.

Here's a photo of a nice big rockchuck I took last year for reference:
fat-chuck.jpg

Those look about the same size as our groundhogs. I hate posting pics on forums, or I would.

I see you're also shooting a CZ 527. I've got the 24" Varmint barrel version and can't get it to shoot sub MOA groups no matter what. I've tried a spotless barrel, in-between dirty barrel, and a dirty barrel. Nothing will hold sub MOA. Any tips? I've got about 100-150 rounds through it.

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater
I see you're also shooting a CZ 527. I've got the 24" Varmint barrel version and can't get it to shoot sub MOA groups no matter what. I've tried a spotless barrel, in-between dirty barrel, and a dirty barrel. Nothing will hold sub MOA. Any tips? I've got about 100-150 rounds through it.

Yep, mine's a 527 varmint also. Not sure what to recommend other than the vmax ammo if you haven't tried it already. Mine shoots the vmax sub-moa whether clean or dirty.

I have found for my 527 17 Hornet, 4198. Yes it is a pita to load, but it is a tack driver. I have not run any over the chrono.
All of the other "go to" powders were at best 5/8-3/4"@100. They had speed for sure.

What time of year was that Dirty Dog? Haven't hunted chucks in the high country yet, but it looks like exactly the kind of area that I had in mind when I built out a 17 hornet pack rifle recently (TC Contender carbine with folding stock). Bring along a pack fishing rod and it'd make for a whole lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusWhat time of year was that Dirty Dog? Haven't hunted chucks in the high country yet, but it looks like exactly the kind of area that I had in mind when I built out a 17 hornet pack rifle recently (TC Contender carbine with folding stock). Bring along a pack fishing rod and it'd make for a whole lot of fun.That was just after ice out, around early May during a drought year in CA. I go up as soon as I can drive most of the way to the trailhead. I always have to hike in a few miles in snow but it's worth it. Gotta get these chucks early before hikers start invading my hunting spots.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater

Yep, mine's a 527 varmint also. Not sure what to recommend other than the vmax ammo if you haven't tried it already. Mine shoots the vmax sub-moa whether clean or dirty.

I was shooting VMax, but quit after it ripped up some foxes. There's a box headed my way in the mail for both the .17 Hornet and .243. I can't remember how it grouped in the .17.

Good for you Flesh Eater. The only three bullets I would consider for this are the Hornady VMax, The Sierra Blitz or the Nosler Bts. Depending upon who had them on sale.

The V-Max definitely perform well out of the .17 Hornet. They did okay out of the .243 with 75 gr. It's a 1/10 twist, so the 75 gr. should out peform the 55 gr. or 58 gr., right?

Plus 1 on the V/Z Max's . Took some Rock Chucks in Idaho early this week with a .204 and .223 Loaded with those and man they hit hard. Spectacular results.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanhttps://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-58-gr-v-max-superformance#!/

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-75-gr-v-max-superformance-varmint#!/

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunitio...p-varmint/p243h
https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunitio...p-varmint/p243f

Longer range:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-87-gr-v-max-custom#!/

Most 243's that I have shot the federal 55g nosler ballistic tips in have shot fantastic to say the least!

I'll order up a box of those Federals!

According to internet lore, a 1/10 twist should stabilize a heavier bullet better, which is why I went with the 75 grain. I was going to try the 87 grain Custom Lite, too. But pretty sure I can find the Federals cheap enough to try.

Back