That was fast!!

flowj

Big suprise today. Ordered a 6x6.8 from Ritch March 12th. It came today. I hav'nt even ordered my BCG yet. Had no clue it would get here this fast. Thanks Ritch, great service

I suppose you could just let it set in the corner. Like our first brick of 22's as a kid. It was a bit of time before I shot any of them.
thumbup1.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: flowjBig suprise today. Ordered a 6x6.8 from Ritch March 12th. It came today. I hav'nt even ordered my BCG yet. Had no clue it would get here this fast. Thanks Ritch, great service

Great news! Mine was an 18" and ordered before yours but maybe mine won't be far behind.

No they do not. Using in-house gauges the head space is set to the proper height. I have over 30 uppers that were done that way. The 6.8 and 6.5 variants I have all are within 0.002 of each other.

Greg

BCG & muzzle cap coming from Brownells. Dies coming from Kevin. Local gun shop has a .750 Superlative gas block in stock. I got a 1000 58 gr vmax's, 8 lbs of XBR, and lots of early SSA brass. I'm on a mission baby!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettdon't they need the BCG to headspace the barrel

It really is nice to do business with good guys like Ritch and Greg. so different than many big brand operations.

Headspacing on an AR is done after the barrel extension is installed on the barrel. So the headspacing is done from the chamber to the bolt and the lugs on the extension for bolt lock up, but they are on the same part. It is not like a bolt action set up where the chamber and lugs are on separate parts that have to be adjusted to each other. So as long as the extension and bolts are manufactured to the same standard, there is no problem doing it this way.

I can remember as a 7 or 8 year old when ever I was lucky enough to come up with a quarter I would go to the only country store in our little town of 300 people. Now for a quarter you could buy enough candy to fill both front pockets or the big round tube of daisy BB's. That was an easy choice. You couldn't kill birds with candy!!

I ran the Hawkeye in my new barrel and was pretty impressed. The actual chamber was slick as snot. The reamer must be new and very sharp. Mounted the barrel and gas block. Waiting on the BCG to arrive tomorrow. I hope the dies come pretty soon. Does anyone know if there is a modified case available to check seating depth? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: flowjDoes anyone know if there is a modified case available to check seating depth? Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, mine is on the way and I had also tried to find a modified case without any luck. One member was kind enough to send me a couple of his fired cases to send to Hornady for modification. Sent both to them and in a week or so I received back the modified case plus the spare. Hopefully the fired case from his barrel will work fine in mine.
Maybe a fellow member can help you like he helped me.

Originally Posted By: flowjI ran the Hawkeye in my new barrel and was pretty impressed. The actual chamber was slick as snot. The reamer must be new and very sharp. Mounted the barrel and gas block. Waiting on the BCG to arrive tomorrow. I hope the dies come pretty soon. Does anyone know if there is a modified case available to check seating depth? Thanks.

No modified ones available commercially. Ritch and I have found the Sinclair tool is much faster and more flexible as you use a case fired in your rifle. This is really helpful in these cats.

That being said I suppose if you could send me your address in a PM I could maybe find a couple cases that are near the end of their life. I have some with about a dozen firings on them so I don;t mind sending you a few.

Greg

I appreciate the offer Greg, but I can't do anything till my dies arrive. I hope they come soon everything will be here tomorrow to finish the gun. If they take to long to get here I may order the bushing dies. What are you using to seat the bullets when you go that route?

Originally Posted By: flowjI appreciate the offer Greg, but I can't do anything till my dies arrive. I hope they come soon everything will be here tomorrow to finish the gun. If they take to long to get here I may order the bushing dies. What are you using to seat the bullets when you go that route?

I'd have to check on the exact date but the dies were ordered right around may 5. With a 10 week lead time so with any luck they should be shipping in the next few weeks.

The seater is the same seater that comes with the custom die sets. Hornady just has 1 seater for each caliber.

Originally Posted By: GLShooter

No modified ones available commercially. Ritch and I have found the Sinclair tool is much faster and more flexible as you use a case fired in your rifle. This is really helpful in these cats.
Greg

Also with the Sinclair tool there are no modified cases to be bought in turn that saves $$$.. And the tool has worked great for me and is easy to use... Dan

Back