20 Practical Case Forming

k9hunter2

url]

Just tried forming some 20 practical brass. Is the bulge in the neck ok? Ran the brass through a gutted 223 die first, then used a .225 bushing die.

If it chambers OK but I wouldn't find it acceptable in my loadings. None of mine look like that. I would get that bushing down lower.

Greg

I have the die all the way down so it's hitting the shell holder and I can still see the bulge. Would the best option be grinding the shell holder or having the die cut? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: erikc838are you removing all but just a little play in the bushing?

Good point. Once I gut the die and size the case initially bumping the shoulder back I make sure my 223 bushing die barely touches the shoulder and bushing float is very minimal at about 1/8th turn. One thing I do is trim the 223 case short by about 0.005 and when the necks get longer from sizing down I'm setting right were I want that case length to be.

As to being all the way down on the shell holder how much is that moving your shoulder? If it is going more than 0.004 below FIRED levels then you are too low. If you can't get there cut the top off the holder by about 0.010. You want to be able to have plenty of room to move things and it will be a benefit if you use that die on other 223's or wildcats. Camming hard against the shell holder does more to harm things than benefit them IMHO.

Greg

Last edited:
I'm never in any rush to reform my cases and sometime I take too many small steps. On my 20 P I start with a .223 die gutted out. That should bring the case neck down to around .243/.242 Then using Redding Type S FL Die I use a .233 bushing and finally a .230 bushing. I like very little neck tension and the .230 is perfect for my wants. I never reduce more than .010 per step. I tried a .225 and felt it was too much. I never got any cases looking the one in your picture.

I tried new unfired brass and it looks good no bulge.I'll grind .010 off the shell holder to move the shoulder back more on the once fired 223 brass

Back