Suppressor Help

TXCOONDOG

I built a 6.8 SPC AR (16” Wilson Combat lightweight barrel with an adjustable gas block) that weighs around 5.5lbs with a scope. I’m looking for a suppressor that is light weight and I’m not sure what to buy. This is my hog rig and I walk 8-10 miles per hunt.

I would like to be able to use it on my .308 bolt action with a 26” barrel too.

Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Originally Posted By: barkI don't think the Ultra 5 will be hearing safe on a 6.8. It's only a few ounces more to have a quieter can. true, but he never listed hearing safe as a requirement in his search, why i mentioned it.

Yes, it must be hearing safe ...... I would like to know why anyone would have a suppessor that is not hearing safe ?

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGYes, it must be hearing safe ...... I would like to know why anyone would have a suppessor that is not hearing safe ?

My sentiments as well.

I've personally never heard a suppressed 16" AR (super sonic), that I'd consider anywhere near hearing safe. My 18" barrel .223 with a Ultra 7 on it sure as heck isn't.

Just because it's less than the OSHA 140, doesn't mean it's actually "safe".

Bigger is better. If suppression not weight is what is actually important to you, get something like a TBAC Ultra 9. Or equally monstrous can of another make.

- DAA

Silencerco Omega would work for that. If you use aftermarket direct thread adapters and flat caps made of titanium the Omega weighs 11.5 oz and is only 6" long. TBAC cans are even lighter but a tad longer.

I would agree that a 16" AR is not hearing safe even with a can, but it is a HECK of a lot quieter. I'm building a 20" upper just to reduce noise and get the muzzle further from my ears.

An Omega is one of the smallest, lightest, and most quiet. It will work fine on a 6.8 or a 308 Bolt. It most likely will not work on a 308 Auto. The Omega creates so much Back pressure most 308 Autos will not function with it. I think I have my POF functioning but it was a struggle for sure.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGAny thoughts on Q’s Thunder Chicken ? I think it's a pretty good can honestly there's so many good ones out there anymore it's hard to pick a bad one really boils down to just what exact specifications you want. In my opinion I definitely would not get hung up on decibel readings they are way overrated in my opinion

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barkhe's running a 6.8. A little different animal than .223.
I'm not sure what you mean by that?

I would agree with you that the longer you can keep the bolt closed the quieter it will sound to the shooter. Adjustable gas block definitely helped a little, and part of the reason I want a 20" is for the rifle length gas system. LMT's enhanced bolt carriers are supposed to delay bolt unlock as well.

I appreciate all the responses. I talked to a ton of people and manufactures and went with a Texas Company.

Texas Silencer Company - Outrider, 10” titanium @ 12 oz with muzzle adapter.

Now the wait begins

Back