Pulsar Apex xq38 review.

Kevinfarmer3456

I picked up a pulsar Apex xq 38 a couple days ago and I have been on a couple hunts with it now. I must say I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the resolution in this thermal. I got to spend quite a bit of time behind it and also comparing it to a friend of mine's ATN Thor HD. The Pulsar definitely out-performed the ATN Thor HD in the clarity Department. I do want to make note that the Pulsar had a native magnification of 2.2 x which in my opinion seemed a lot stronger than that. It equaled the same magnification as the ATN Thor HD on about 2.9 power. I know some people have contemplated on whether or not the 1.6 and 1.2 power of the Pulsar Trail XP units was too little, I'm thinking that might just be perfect especially for Hogs. It seems like the magnification runs a little bit on the strongside for the Pulsar unit. I had absolutely no problem zeroing the scope and it held zero perfectly all-night-long through temperature changes in and out of the truck. I am extremely happy with this unit and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get into a bargain base thermal I bought this particular unit used for right around $2,200

Kevin, thanks for the review. It's good to hear specifics and comparisons. Appreciate you taking the time to share.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Hey Kevin, what's the latest news on the Apex XQ38? Any issues with it or things you don't like? other than the picture in picture not lining up like it's supposed to I've been extremely pleased with it. Honestly if I had to do it over again I would buy the trail xp50 simply for the 1.6 native magnification especially on the amount of hogs I've been hunting with it. Also, I would have bought the Apex xq50 for the higher native magnification had I been using it more for coyotes.

I guess you could say the 2.2 magnification of the xq38 is meeting in the middle

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What distance do you normally shoot hogs?

first shots start out at about 35-45 yards. They usually hit the timber within 200 yards. So 200 or 225 is about max.

Back