Bought a SIG P365

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Yesterday. it's derived from the P320, which is now known to sometimes fail the drop test. I don't know if the 365 will or not. I won't personally be testing that.

there are no external safeties, not even a trigger block that the glock has. the trigger is the "safety".

dry firing it feels like a great trigger. I plan to take it to the range tomorrow & see how it does with live ammo.

the mag in the gun has a factory grip extender. the spare mag does not, it's a flat floor plate & the model is so new there aren't any aftermarket ones yet. I've found new mags with the extender but not just the extender.

the stock mag holds 10 rounds, there are factory 12 round mags but they are a bit longer. if the gun is holstered this would be fine, but if carried in a hidden compartment the length might be a problem.

it had steel night sights. I've read where some people found they had one dead dot & had to send it back in for replacements (posts from back in feb, so maybe current production is addressing this?). I tested this one & all 3 are fine.

It feels good in the hand. Stippling is aggressive, so might be an issue if shooting a lot with a bare hand. Again, will see tomorrow.

it's the size of a glock 43 but holds the same rounds as a glock 26. when I asked what the mag capacity was, Eddie said "10 rounds" & I said "You're making that up!!!"

but he wasn't. damned thing actually holds 10+1

40667543255_11883644f3_c.jpg

I was at our local indoor range a couple weeks ago looking for something else and happened to notice they had one of the new Sig 365's in their rental department. I didn't have time to go shoot it but I did handle it and play around with it for a few minutes. As you mentioned, it is real close to the same size as the G43 but it's a double stack mag and holds 10 rnds. It had a great feel in the hands and the trigger was pretty darn good. I have a Performance Center Shield so I'm a little spoiled with regard to triggers in a CCW but the trigger in the Sig 365 is easily acceptable.

After playing around with the one they had, I can see these new Sig 365's becoming a VERY popular CCW. It's small, yet not tiny and hard to get a grip on like some the little CCW and it holds 10 rnds at the minimum. Some may squawk at the price but overall, there isn't much to not like about these things.

Let us know how it shoots, but it's a Sig so I'm sure you'll be more than happy.

It's an interesting gun. It's having a few problems right now, hopefully Sig gets things sorted out quickly. I'm interested in it but I'll wait until they work the bugs out before I buy one.

Originally Posted By: GCIt's an interesting gun. It's having a few problems right now, hopefully Sig gets things sorted out quickly. I'm interested in it but I'll wait until they work the bugs out before I buy one.

Not sure if this applies to what you are referring to or not but I know Sig stopped production of the 365's for awhile to make some changes or upgrades, then resumed production again. The way I understand it, if you purchased a 365 that was made before the changes, Sig will update it for free, but that's pretty much standard in the gun industry now days.

I bought one earlier this week also. I was in the gun store for something else and was about to walk out the door, stopped and asked,"You don't happen to have the new Sig do you?" Well they had 1, now I have it, sort of. I showed it to my wife and she loves the size and feel. If it shoots well for her I'm sure it will be hers

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishYesterday. it's derived from the P320, which is now known to sometimes fail the drop test. I don't know if the 365 will or not. I won't personally be testing that.

there are no external safeties, not even a trigger block that the glock has. the trigger is the "safety".

dry firing it feels like a great trigger. I plan to take it to the range tomorrow & see how it does with live ammo.

the mag in the gun has a factory grip extender. the spare mag does not, it's a flat floor plate & the model is so new there aren't any aftermarket ones yet. I've found new mags with the extender but not just the extender.

the stock mag holds 10 rounds, there are factory 12 round mags but they are a bit longer. if the gun is holstered this would be fine, but if carried in a hidden compartment the length might be a problem.

it had steel night sights. I've read where some people found they had one dead dot & had to send it back in for replacements (posts from back in feb, so maybe current production is addressing this?). I tested this one & all 3 are fine.

It feels good in the hand. Stippling is aggressive, so might be an issue if shooting a lot with a bare hand. Again, will see tomorrow.

it's the size of a glock 43 but holds the same rounds as a glock 26. when I asked what the mag capacity was, Eddie said "10 rounds" & I said "You're making that up!!!"

but he wasn't. damned thing actually holds 10+1

40667543255_11883644f3_c.jpg

Sig had a voluntary recall for the drop problem and is supposed to be fixed.I bought mine and found out about the recall the next day,never fired it,sent it in took about four weeks to come back.Dry firing it the trigger feels as good as before it was sent in.

The 365 is having reliability issues and now it seems the MIM firing pin is breaking. The "nipple" protrusion that goes through the breech face and strikes the primer is shearing off on some 365's.

Got set up & just before I was going to shoot the range owner came down to check it out. He brought some Blazer -brass case- with him and an older SIG 948 that had about 5000 rounds through it. I got to shoot that too. Nice gun.

I shot a mag, he ran 2 mags of Blazer through it. We talked a bit & he went on about his work.

I ran something over 200 rounds through it in all. Lost some brass, but I came home with 220 empties. Mostly my handloads using a 115gr JHP, but at least 20 Blazers and finished with 10 rounds of Federal self defense with 135gr hydrashoks.

I took the gun as is from the box, did not clean it. I alternated both magazines. The primary has a grip extension on it, the spare a flat floor plate. While the grip extension feels better, the reality is that when shooting I really didn't notice its lack when using the spare mag.

Extraction was strong & typically up, back & to the right. I did have a few odd ones that went more straight back, including one that bounced off the center of my chest.

I tried starting with an empty chamber & full mag, with one in the chamber and a full mag and with one in the chamber and no mag.

Zero malfunctions of any sort.

There is no magazine disconnect, it will fire with a round in the chamber and no mag in the gun.

The mags are steel body and drop free design. However, with big hands the heel of your hand can interfere with a clean drop. Someone with smaller hands than mine likely won't experience this.

Black silhouette targets aren't the best for these sights, not much contrast. Same issue exists with the Trijicons on my Glock, it's not a criticism of the sights, just a reality. I was mainly running the gun for reliability. I generally aimed for eithe the X ring or the head. The owner aimed at the little target in the upper left corner.

4 boxes of empty brass:

20180420_113851 by Stu Farish, on Flickr

Something over 200 rounds:

20180420_113926 by Stu Farish, on Flickr

Final 10 of Federal:

20180420_115611 by Stu Farish, on Flickr

Definitely going to be a formidable EDC once they work through all the growing pains. What distances were your targets shot at?

7 yards

I took some 45 handloads with me that I want to evaluate in my glock but never shot them. I went to the pistol range. They have taller, narrow tables built for people to stand behind while shooting pistols. no seats & not tall enough to use any sort of a rest, so all shooting was standing & unsupported.

I'll take the 45 with me when I go back & use the rifle range so I can try them from a supported position. Likely use a different target for more contrast, as I want to evaluate for accuracy as well as function. same for the sig, I need to use a different target for better contrast to see how accurate it is for me.

Good report Stu, thanks for the shooting update. Congrats on your new shooter and good luck with it in the future. Keep us informed as the round count increases. Lots of interest in the P365!

I came away very pleased with it. The only real questions now are how will it hold up and what's the status on drop test results?

I'll make a point of running at least a couple of mags through it every time I hit the range, just to keep it running & see what happens. I'm thinking that if anything is going to give up it will be likely within the first 500 - 1000 rounds.

Yes, the P365 seems to be very popular right now. I have enough that I don’t need to rush out, may look into one later on though. I like Sig, my P938 is one of my favorites.

I wasn't aware of any drop issues with the 365. The P320 did have such issues. I always feel better when I hit the 1,000 round mark, though I did have a Glock 22 break an extractor around the 1,500 round place.

I don't know if there are or not. My understanding is the 365 is derived from the 320 so it's a question for me.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI don't know if there are or not. My understanding is the 365 is derived from the 320 so it's a question for me.
Not sure if the internals are the same for both but there is a video on Sigs website that shows the difference between the original and the updated pistols.You might be able to see if the 365 is the same and if it has the updates.

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade/

I'll have to look at hers but I think it applies. Supposedly you -in part- end up with a better trigger & this one is pretty good, so we'll likely do it. Just looking at the trigger profile I think this one needs it but will double check the other details.

Back