Chargemaster lite, Hornady auto, or Lyman Gen 6?

Acronin

I’m going to get everybody’s ideas on which one of these three auto dispensing skills is best. I can’t spend the money for the original RCBS chargemaster. I’m just looking for right now as my beam scale is out of whack. I live three hours from the Hornady plant so I’m going towards the Hornaday lock n load auto dispenser. I have seen and heard good things from the other two as well. I look forward to everybodies thoughts.

Not much info here but I have the hornady model and have had it for a couple years with zero issues. I check it with my Dillon beam scale every time I use it and it’s always right on.

I have the LITE, works well, pretty consistent/accurate. I use one of the reducing inserts which improved the accuracy & consistency, but slowed the trickle function down a bit too much IMO, but it is more accurate/consistent.

Just a thought - a powder measure or even Lee dippers for the initial low dump, then trickle up with this. More precise than the rest, and cheaper in the long run - cant see it being slower than the all-in-one units, and more versatile and precise for the cash, w/ less dependence on one unit's electronics. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkU0MLBUDzc&list=PLJm6jq3qGs_oaO4dv90BapFpmvj2kzb71&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U&index=7&list=PLJm6jq3qGs_oaO4dv90BapFpmvj2kzb71

Originally Posted By: Mike BJust a thought - a powder measure or even Lee dippers for the initial low dump, then trickle up with this. More precise than the rest, and cheaper in the long run - cant see it being slower than the all-in-one units, and more versatile and precise for the cash, w/ less dependence on one unit's electronics. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkU0MLBUDzc&list=PLJm6jq3qGs_oaO4dv90BapFpmvj2kzb71&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U&index=7&list=PLJm6jq3qGs_oaO4dv90BapFpmvj2kzb71

Thanks for posting the links....especially appreciated the second video on using the Omega with the Chargemaster. Cortina is a guy who knows what he's talking about.

I've got both the 1500 and a Lite, and like them both very much. Both have the Dave Moore brass insert for the dispensing tube. I'm going to try my Omega with the RCBS and see how it goes.

George

Is a powder measure not faster? I just started reloading, but i check my rcbs powder measure and it dumps my 3.9 grains perfect everytime. Have not used it on bigger powder loads. Maybe then it wont be as accurate.

I have the Gen 6. Its not quite two years old and been in the shop twice. FWIW, they got it fixed correctly the second time and it works good now. I had to get a little crappy with them the second time but it worked because they finally listened to what I was telling them about the problem.

Never the Hornady. 1yr warranty on electronics, I have had THREE of them go down. 2 within 6months out of Warranty. They’re terrible. Despite tuning, they’ll spit the bit and start over charging, then after a couple resets, they’ll stop trickling and not finish throwing charges. The 3rd one I had also had the drive motor burn out - I can tell you it is not really fun to start smelling smoke from a motor which is sitting under a pound of H110!

I shared my experience with a local precision rifle club I’m on, three other guys mentioned the same failures on their Hornady Autocharge units.

99% of what Hornady produces are great products. The LNL Autocharge is an externally contracted piece of garbage.

I am a month and 300ish rounds into my RCBS Chargemaster lite. So far I love it. It is a little slow but in 300 rounds I think it mischarged on 2 of them. It is simple to use too. I was using a lee balance beam before this so needless to say I'm in heaven

Does anyone have any fresh new info on these choices? I have a Lyman DPS gene that worked well for a few years, but now it's throwing over charges and trying to recalibrate all the time. I'm considering a new Lyman gen6 because they offered it for $150 right from Lyman. Do you guys think I should give it a shot or spend the extra money on an RCBS?

Originally Posted By: heavymetalDoes anyone have any fresh new info on these choices? I have a Lyman DPS gene that worked well for a few years, but now it's throwing over charges and trying to recalibrate all the time. I'm considering a new Lyman gen6 because they offered it for $150 right from Lyman. Do you guys think I should give it a shot or spend the extra money on an RCBS?

I bought one of the GEN 6 a couple of weeks ago. Was having problems with my GEN 3 so I got the $150 Lyman deal plus they told me how to fix the GEN 3. I haven't used the GEN 6 yet.

After the last time I sent my Gen 6 in, seems they found the problem as its been doing pretty good. One thing I have noticed is that some times if using ball powder it will bind up the drop tube. Hasn't done it that often but it has done it. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the RCBS.

I just picked up the Chargemaster lite, so far I’m really liking this thing. So much faster for case charging. Had Cabelas price match what I found it online for, they weren’t happy but they honored it. Never messed with the Lyman or Hornady so can’t offer anything there.

Buy from Brownells. Life time guaranty etc.

I have an RCBS regular model from 2014. Works great, all normal nuances of electrical scales apply... Electric scales can and do wander. They need a quick check every once in awhile. They need to be warmed up, re-zeroed and sometimes recalibrated mid stream. If you accept this prior to purchase it will save you some heartache.

These type of scales shine for load development with long type extruded powders. Especially when loading in 1/10th increments trying to find the center of the sweet spot/area.

I have a very precise mini electric scale i use to double check the charge master. Day in, and day out it will usually throw +/- 1 tenth.

You have to pay attention. Sometimes they throw very heavy, and sometimes very light. You have to read the display each and every time.

There is a learning curve.

I know nothing of other brands or models.

Back