Camping trip...

Great pics!

Ya'll out west have no idea how much you have to be thankful for. If those locations were in the east, you'd be walking to them all, since motorized vehicles are prohibited on state game lands and national forests, other than approved trails/roadways. Hold those public lands near and dear.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterGreat pics!

Ya'll out west have no idea how much you have to be thankful for. If those locations were in the east, you'd be walking to them all, since motorized vehicles are prohibited on state game lands and national forests, other than approved trails/roadways. Hold those public lands near and dear.

Lots of roads I've driven, won't ever be driven by anyone again. Lots and lots of them. The do gooders have been pouring money into shutting it all down for decades and decades now. Just grinding and chipping away. They have made a lot of progress.

Fortunately, local gov't is very strongly in favor of keeping access to public lands open. But, it's never ending court battles.

Small win, a few years ago, when an agreement was reached to re-open some routes the enviro loons had got closed for many years. I went and drove them almost the day the gates came down. It was a really neat trip - here's a link to a full report with lots and lots of pictures.

Deep Creeks, routes reopened

So, I'm very, very aware of how lucky I am. It's slowly getting less and less though. Less and less, being used by more and more. I've been telling people for years, get out there, live it, breath it, soak it in. Because it's going away. Fast. If you think you'll wait for retirement then go experience it, you'll be too late. You're too late already, really.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterGreat pics!

Lots of roads I've driven, won't ever be driven by anyone again. Lots and lots of them. The do gooders have been pouring money into shutting it all down for decades and decades now. Just grinding and chipping away. They have made a lot of progress.

Fortunately, local gov't is very strongly in favor of keeping access to public lands open. But, it's never ending court battles.

Small win, a few years ago, when an agreement was reached to re-open some routes the enviro loons had got closed for many years. I went and drove them almost the day the gates came down. It was a really neat trip - here's a link to a full report with lots and lots of pictures.

Deep Creeks, routes reopened

So, I'm very, very aware of how lucky I am. It's slowly getting less and less though. Less and less, being used by more and more. I've been telling people for years, get out there, live it, breath it, soak it in. Because it's going away. Fast. If you think you'll wait for retirement then go experience it, you'll be too late. You're too late already, really.

- DAA

I'm a member of Pirate4x4.com, and those guys are always fighting to keep public lands open out there. Like most things in life, people won't know what they had/have until it's gone.

As much as I want to visit the west, I'll probably never make it out there, which is probably better. I'm not sure I'd ever want to come home!

I hope that one day I am able to take some time and travel to the West, until then, stories and photos like this are really appreciated. I love seeing the landscape and the history to be told with it, so much different than here. Thanks for sharing DAA.

Like I keep saying, it you want to experience it, don't wait. The West, as I have known it, is already gone forever. The current version, is disappearing fast. Really fast. Can't say what another five, ten or twenty years is going to look like, but can say, it's not going to be changed for the better, in my opinion.

Population growth, is the biggest factor. Folks that live in areas that have not been experiencing explosive population growth for decade after decade, would probably not be able to wrap their heads around the kind of change that comes with a tripling of population. But, that's what has happened just in my memory here - tripled. Three times as many people. The changes that has brought are staggering. And, that population growth has actually grabbed another gear and is speeding up. Could double again in my lifetime, making it six times as many people.

Get it while the getting is good. Or, while the getting is still possible. It's not really "good" anymore, compared to what it used to be. But what there is now, is sure going to seem great, compared to what there is going to be soon.

I'm not kidding. A lot has disappeared already. A lot more will be gone soon.

Can't stop progress...

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAALike I keep saying, it you want to experience it, don't wait. The West, as I have known it, is already gone forever. The current version, is disappearing fast. Really fast. Can't say what another five, ten or twenty years is going to look like, but can say, it's not going to be changed for the better, in my opinion.

Population growth, is the biggest factor. Folks that live in areas that have not been experiencing explosive population growth for decade after decade, would probably not be able to wrap their heads around the kind of change that comes with a tripling of population. But, that's what has happened just in my memory here - tripled. Three times as many people. The changes that has brought are staggering. And, that population growth has actually grabbed another gear and is speeding up. Could double again in my lifetime, making it six times as many people.

Get it while the getting is good. Or, while the getting is still possible. It's not really "good" anymore, compared to what it used to be. But what there is now, is sure going to seem great, compared to what there is going to be soon.

I'm not kidding. A lot has disappeared already. A lot more will be gone soon.

Can't stop progress...

- DAA

I believe it. If memory serves, I recently read that North Carolina is about to see 1.5 million acres of habitat destroyed due to human encroachment.

Here in western PA our lands are ever shrinking. Older people who inherited farms have passed away, and their grandchildren have subsidized the land for cookie cutter communities. It's a quick cash grab and with it goes acres upon acres of land. I can't tell you how large I've seen our suburbs grow in just 30 years. It's unfathomable. When we get permission to hunt land here, we have to visit 50 properties, just to make up 250-500 acres of land. If a farmer owns more than 100 acres, they've got a nice chunk of land. With it usually comes a road through the property, or homes all around it, though.

I wonder how long the west side of the river will still be fun, the east side has been terrible for many years already. That looks like an awesome trip Dave, I've never camped at the JWP spot by the river but it looks like a beauty! I better get back there sooner than later.

Like has been said don't wait.
All my life I wanted to take a hunting trip out west. Mostly I just wanted to walk on that land. But I didn't have the time or money.I had to work. I waited.
Now I have the time. I could come up with the money.
But I am not able to walk the mountains. I will never be able to do just one trip.
When you get older you don't regret the things you did.
You regret the things you didn't do.
I have been out west and hope to go again this summer but I won't get to do anything but look.
I am very grateful for that much. It's a wonderful place to see.
Here a man can disappear with four steps. Some places out there you can't get out of sight on a good horse.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistLike has been said don't wait.
All my life I wanted to take a hunting trip out west. Mostly I just wanted to walk on that land. But I didn't have the time or money.I had to work. I waited.
Now I have the time. I could come up with the money.
But I am not able to walk the mountains. I will never be able to do just one trip.
When you get older you don't regret the things you did.
You regret the things you didn't do.
I have been out west and hope to go again this summer but I won't get to do anything but look.
I am very grateful for that much. It's a wonderful place to see.
Here a man can disappear with four steps. Some places out there you can't get out of sight on a good horse.

Words of wisdom bear repeating, JJ.

I was also too busy trying to run a business when I was young and able. Kept putting those trips off, never taking more than a four day weekend off for 35 years.

Very grateful that the year I retired I did make it to Colorado twice for elk hunting (before the left coast refugees completely took the state over) but life got in the way again and before I knew it, it was too late for those extended trips.

So, you "young guys" take heed of JJ's words; he knows of what he speaks.

Regards,
hm

I for one am glad you keep taking the pics Dave! they are awesome.

I have been fortunate to see many states East and West. I can appreciate almost all. I love seeing the sites in the East that pertain to our founding and the founders.

I am a sucker for the West [beeep]. Love the wild, but not sure I could survive it as well as you guys do. You make it look easy.

Thanks for taking us along.

Back