243wssm

About the only thing that I could think of is the availability of brass. Along with the price of the brass. I guess that you reload?

Last edited:
Yes I reload I have a 243 wssm a-bolt and love it. Just wondering if it would be worth it to go with a ar build? Just want to see what everyone thinks about them and if they are worth it. Thanks for the input.

Not worth it to build your own WSSM AR, as too many parts are proprietary. But if you’re interested in a WSSM, buy one from Mike and be merry.

would also be interested in this caliber in a AR platform did a little research and liked the idea of the caliber but couldnt find much for ammo anywhere online and i don't reload so i went a different direction temporally. anyone knows who keep the factory stuff in stock and who manufactures a factory rifle worth buying?

They make runs of ammo, but finding it in stock when you want it isn't likely. To play with these you have to stock up when it's available.

Now that Hornady makes brass, it is conceivable that they might start making some ammo. I'd like to see them pick up the 30 RAR also.

I been back and forth for years on this and probably will never done it. Dried up brass and if you can find it $2-3 per casing. An ar that you can't shoot. I'd rather buy a 243 upper...you can always find ammo nod brass.

Last edited:
will someone key me in on exactly what is changed to run the WEESUM in an AR, what barrel extension is used? What is done to a regular upper to run the larger barrel extension? are the handguards limited to what olympic or Dtech has? is the carrier any different or just the bolt head?

Completely different bolt, larger with way larger lugs. BE to match, larger diameter by a little bit, upper with larger bore for the BE and larger ejection port, but still uses common handguards. Carrier is different also. The magazine has to be lowered about 1/8 or 3/16".

That pretty well covers it 204. It was fascinating when I got my 25 from OLY back in 07. It looked "normal' but not quite as soon as you started pulling it apart. I don't see any real difference in magazines. They look the same to me and I shoot mine with 450 Bushmaster magazines with no issues.

One thing that did then and still does impress me is the thickness of the brass. When you work with it it's like working with light gauge pipe. Heavy and hard as the hubs of [beeep]. I have not seen any of the Hornady stuff but I do want to pick up a bag when I do.

Greg

Yeah standard barrel nut. The mags you mill out the top of the notch on the mag where the mag catch catches it. I used a dremel and cut off wheel and just matched the one from Mike. Then you round out the follower and open the feed lips to 1/2".

The 450 Bushy option sounds like it should work well too.

I've got a new challenge for mags, I just picked up a 30 RAR in the classifieds. It has one mag which is all I need of course, but more is better! The factory mags for it are real funky.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARYeah standard barrel nut. The mags you mill out the top of the notch on the mag where the mag catch catches it. I used a dremel and cut off wheel and just matched the one from Mike. Then you round out the follower and open the feed lips to 1/2".

The 450 Bushy option sounds like it should work well too.

I've got a new challenge for mags, I just picked up a 30 RAR in the classifieds. It has one mag which is all I need of course, but more is better! The factory mags for it are real funky.

so does that make the part the barrel extension fits into a lot thinner. where the barrel extension slides into the upper? That already isn't that thick.

are these modifications to a regular upper or an entirely different upper?

Well I imagine it is thinner, can't be by much. I've never heard of one breaking, and these have been around a long time now.

I think it's slightly different upper but it may just be modified. I think Mike has his own billet upper now that he uses instead of the Oly one.

Brownells had a sale on DPMS lowers for $125.
Got an 243win upper 20in barrel from Bushmaster before they closed and sold out.
I bought a 3 gun trigger, with scope a little south of $2K.

That is it on the right, next Bushmaster Varmint 20in and a DPMS 308.
Why go thru the pain of putting a fat pig in a small box.
If a 70 year old man can pack an AR 10 so can you.
Specwar works on all my rifles with no changes to standard rifle.
I have a whole pig pen of AR's to shoot not to work on.

b5j5NE5.jpg

Back