Idaho Whistle Pigs

songdog34

I built a mount for my phone so I could get some whistle pig footage. I was pleasantly surprised with the results since it was my first time using it. I could have easily killed a couple hundred on this day, but the scope cam slows things up a bit. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this very amateur attempt at a hunting video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH1YeCUZTXo

Great video, Great Shooting. But..... Them ain't what we in PA call whistle pigs. Whistle pigs are ground hogs in the east.

Good video.. good deal Songdog... Save a few of those PD's since I'm suppose to come out to Boise this June because my wife wants to visit friends... but I'll be wanting to visit PD's.... LOL.

Might be slim pickins in June, Dan. These things estivate eight months out of the year. As soon as it gets hot and water is scarce, they're gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wickaGreat video, do you have a picture of what your camera mount looks like.

Here's the link to the Youtube video I used. It works great, just takes a little tweaking to get it centered once it's on. I bought everything at Lowe's for about $25. The one thing I would change is don't use the epoxy that he suggests in the video. I used it and the phone case popped right off. I used Gorilla Glue and it hasn't budged.

Also, note in the video he says to measure down 3/16" to drill your holes, but he shows 3/8. Go with the 3/8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeadctrGreat video, Great Shooting. But..... Them ain't what we in PA call whistle pigs. Whistle pigs are ground hogs in the east.

I think it's a local term. In Utah they call them Sage Rats. They make that high pitched warning call, so I think that's how they got their name here in Idaho.

"Good video.. good deal Songdog... Save a few of those PD's since I'm suppose to come out to Boise this June because my wife wants to visit friends... but I'll be wanting to visit PD's.... LOL."

Those are not prairie dogs but rather ground squirrels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Idaho_ground_squirrel

They are much smaller than prairie dogs and much more difficult to hit. The majority of them shot are killed with .22 rifles and most of those by the locals that are just shooting out the window of a pickup as they eek along out in the boonies somewhere.

If you do want to shoot them in June you best make it early June as by then the grass really starts to grow and they get increasingly difficult to see. Also once the temps get up they they prefer to stay in their holes during the heat of the day so only very early morning or a couple of hours before dark will allow you any decent shooting.

If they are the same ground squirrels/sage rats I've shot, they are Belding's Ground Squirrels, but, you Idaho folks are, ummm, well you know, so maybe y'all call them something different.
crazy.gif

Only thing I know for sure, is they are about the dumbest little animals I've ever seen and because they are so stupid, it makes them one heck of a good time to blaze away at them all day long.

Originally Posted By: songdog34Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerIn the Treasure Valley areas, they are Paiute ground squirrels.

Thanks, Eric. Good to know.
thumbup1.gif

No problem. If you get a chance, swing by the Nampa F&G office and ask for one of their "Ground-Dwelling Squirrels of the PNW" booklets. It is very informative. They can also fill you in on where you should not be hunting, due to protected squirrels (ie: North of the Payette River).

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerOriginally Posted By: songdog34Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerIn the Treasure Valley areas, they are Paiute ground squirrels.

Thanks, Eric. Good to know.
thumbup1.gif

No problem. If you get a chance, swing by the Nampa F&G office and ask for one of their "Ground-Dwelling Squirrels of the PNW" booklets. It is very informative. They can also fill you in on where you should not be hunting, due to protected squirrels (ie: North of the Payette River).
I'll do that. I need to go out there anyway to get a spotlighting permit.

Eric is right. There are several sub species of ground squirrels in southern Idaho and two species of Paiute squirrels. We are only allowed to shoot the ones south of the Payette river, north of the Snake river, and from Glens Ferry on the east to the Idaho state line on the west. We can shoot Colombians but they live north of here in a little more mountainous areas. Quite a few around the Yellow Pine area. They are a bigger squirrel, about as tall as a prarie dog but skinnier. They are fun to shoot too but not nearly as numerous as the little Paiutes. The Paiutes are one of the smallest sub species. I really don't know why people call them whistle pigs. I lived in Boise in the 80's and whistle pigs were rock chucks, left for a few years, came back to the area in 2004 and everybody was calling the ground squirrels whistle pigs. What the ????? Oh well I just figure, when in Rome........

Originally Posted By: broperEric is right. There are several sub species of ground squirrels in southern Idaho and two species of Paiute squirrels. We are only allowed to shoot the ones south of the Payette river, north of the Snake river, and from Glens Ferry on the east to the Idaho state line on the west. We can shoot Colombians but they live north of here in a little more mountainous areas. Quite a few around the Yellow Pine area. They are a bigger squirrel, about as tall as a prarie dog but skinnier. They are fun to shoot too but not nearly as numerous as the little Paiutes. The Paiutes are one of the smallest sub species. I really don't know why people call them whistle pigs. I lived in Boise in the 80's and whistle pigs were rock chucks, left for a few years, came back to the area in 2004 and everybody was calling the ground squirrels whistle pigs. What the ????? Oh well I just figure, when in Rome........

Thanks for the great information, broper. Good to know I've been shooting in a "safe zone" for these Paiute squirrels. I moved here about 15 years ago and all the locals were calling them whistle pigs, so, like you said, "when in Rome..."

Originally Posted By: BearI always thought whistle pigs were rock chucks???

I think it's just a local misnomer. But, like it or not, that's what everyone around here calls 'em!
smile.gif

Being from Utah I also thought Rock Chucks were Whistle Pigs. So some guys at work talked me into a long drive to hunt Whistle Pigs in the Boise area. Got out of town at 4 Am and drove all the way to Boise. Discovered their Whistle Pig is a tiny little ground squirrel on crack ! I was way over gunned with a .204 and .223. LOL. You better be quick on the trigger. LOL. A Ruger 10/22 is the preferred weapon.

Back