Simmons Aetec

pyscodog

I know what a lot of you are thinking, its a POS, yada yada. But I bought a rifle that had one on it when I bought it so I left it on. Its 3.8x12x50. In all honesty, this thing has some of the clearest glass I've looked through. I guess if Simmons made a "High End" scope, the Aetec might be it. I prefer Nikons, have a nice Burris and an Athalon, couple of Redfields too, but this old Simmons has some pretty nice glass. How well it holds up under fire??????? Who knows but I think I'll leave it on for a while just to see.

Let the bashing begin! LOL

If it was made in the Philippines it's a very nice scope for the money and will hold up just fine under normal recoil. Yes I bieleve the aetec was their top of the line scope

I have a couple and have swapped them back and forth from 17hmr to 338 win mag and everywhere in between and have pounded them hundreds of miles in gun racks while riding a 4 wheeler while hunting for many years now. They have all held zero very well and the glass is decent for the price. For a set it and forget it type scope, pretty good buy for the money. If you are planning on turning dials for long distance shooting, I'd look else where and plan on spending a lot more money.

I'm not a knob twister. Most places I hunt, a 100 yds could be a long shot. Usually set it a little high at 100 and leave it.

Last edited:
I have this one on my 7-08. Took it out today and it did what it was supposed to do. Nice and clear and the knobs worked fine. May as well use it for a while.

The older Simmons scopes that were made in the Philippines are pretty decent scopes. I’ve got two of the Pro Hunter which is a step down from the Aetec and they both have worked fine for years.

I have 2 of them when they first came out. 2.5-10.. Ones on a 30-06 and the other on a 7mm wsm.. Almost if not 15 years old I believe.. Still holding up strong... Dan

I've had several Simmons Aetec, and still have a couple. Like CrapShoot and a few others said earlier, they are tough as nails and the optics are clear. I never regretted buying any of them, and today I just wish I had picked up a few more when they were getting cleared out of inventory years ago.

I purchased two of the older model Atec scopes when they were being sold years ago. I still have one and it is going strong. The other wouldn't hold zero.

IIRC, the Intensity Optics (Weaver) and Weaver 44/40 scopes are the same as/similar to the Aetec. I think the scopes with aspherical lenses were the 2.8x and 3.8x on low power, while the regular 3x and 4x were not aspherical. I still have a couple of the Intensity Optics from many moons ago and they've been great for what they are.

Back